Saturday, August 6, 2011

Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover Review

This is oft-cited as the best drugstore eye makeup remover option (best high-end is Lancome's Bi-Facil), and many moons ago I found myself running low on my Almay Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover Pads (very quick mini review: really loved these, but the value [$5 for 80 pads], while decent, wasn't enough to persuade me from branching out and trying Neutrogena's, since I'd heard so much about it) so got a bottle of the Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover.
Image from neutrogena.com
Okay, the good: I really only use this when I've done a full eye of makeup and think that my oil cleanser won't quite cut it, and the Neutrogena does remove my eye makeup.  I first shake the bottle, then soak a cotton ball with it, then press over my lids and swipe to remove my makeup, brushing under my lashes if I'm wearing mascara.  I find I can use the same cottonball for both eyes as long as I flip it over, but your mileage may vary depending on how much mascara you wear.  

The bad: oh, where to begin?  I don't know what it is with me and Neutrogena, but we don't tend to get along.  This product is better than, say, the facial cleanser, but it's definitely not HG for me.  For one thing, it leaves a slick residue that feels like oil.  I think it's actually some kind of silicone, but it's still all slippery and gross.  Washing with another face wash (or even an oil cleanser) gets rid of the film, but there are times when I don't want to have to wash my face just to get rid of that.  For another, it tends to make my vision a little cloudy––and I notice this without my glasses on, which means that, even mostly blind, I can still tell.  I also dislike having to use a cotton ball to apply it, just because it's not the most convenient of methods, and I find it sometimes challenging to navigate the corners of my eyes for maximum removal.  I imagine using a cotton pad would work better, but I'm not about to buy a pack of those just so I can have them for the times when I feel the need to use the Neutrogena.  Some of these issues are my own quirks and may not bother you.  I hate that this product doesn't work for me, but it gets so much love from others that I definitely think it's worth a shot if you've never tried it.  As for me, once I use this up, I'll go back to my Almay pads!

Overview
~$5.50 for 5.5 oz, at drugstores

Pros: Removes eye makeup, pretty cheap
Cons: Leaves greasy film, clouds vision

Buy again? No for me!

Have you used Neutrogena's oil-free eye makeup remover?  What do you think of it?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...