Sunday, August 14, 2011

Meow Cosmetics Skinny Dipper in Light Siamese Review and Swatches

I placed an order during Meow's founder's sale, and thanks to the 25% off and the fact that I'd stocked up on foundation samples on a previous order, I was able to convince myself to branch out and try some of their other products.  One I've been getting particular use out of is the Skinny Dipper in Light Siamese (neutral, my foundation shade of choice).  Skinny Dippers are intended to be used for contouring; they emphasize the cheekbones and slim the face when applied below the cheekbones (suck your cheeks in, and contour in the indentation made).  Since they're color-matched to foundation families, they're guaranteed (assuming you know your foundation shade, of course) to offer a contouring effect that looks completely natural.  While I've been using my Benefit Hoola as a contouring product off-and-on over the past months, I wanted to try out something that would be subtler and more natural.  So how do the Skinny Dippers perform?
Skinny Dipper outside under clouds
Honestly, I was pretty skeptical going in (yes, I order things I'm skeptical about just so I can share my experiences with you––you're welcome), but after using the Skinny Dipper for a couple days, I am utterly and completely sold.  I have a round face––not as round as it used to be (as a child, I looked like a chipmunk), but still, quite round––so a slimming/contouring product would seem to be right up my alley.  I tap a wee little bit onto my Sonia Kashuk brush and then sweep from my temples down below my cheekbones and back up a few times to blend, and I swear to you, it is like magic.  My face looks less round!  My cheekbones seem to actually be cheekbones!  My blush pops!  I don't want to post full-face pictures at this point (sorry!), so I sadly can't give you photo evidence of the effect, but I hope you can believe me when I say that it really does work.  Crazy.
Skinny Dipper in indirect sunlight

different angle to show that it's not matte, but not sparkly, either

Now, you can use any powder product (or other formula; NARS Multiples are supposed to be good for this purpose) that's a couple of shades darker than your skin to contour.  Skinny Dippers are not the only choice, by any means!  But what I love about them is that they take the guesswork out of contouring; as long as you know your foundation shade, it's extremely straightforward.  So, if you're on your 2nd or 3rd Meow order and already know what shade you are and just want to add something new and different to your cart, Skinny Dippers are a good choice!

Overview
$9.75 for 10 g jar, $16.25 for 20 g jar, $1 for sample baggie, from Meow

Price: 7.75 (samples are a steal, but the other options are a wee bit pricy)
Value: 9
Quality: 9.5
Ease of Use: 4.5
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 5
Consistency: 5
Grade: A-


Do you prefer this method of contouring, or bronzer?  What do you think of the Skinny Dippers?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...