Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Benefit Hoola Review and Swatches

I may have mentioned that I'm a bit pale once or twice, and because of this I've tended to shy away from bronzers.  Too easy for them to look orange or muddy.  They are, however, great for contouring, so last fall, after extensive research (of course), I decided to purchase Benefit Hoola on eBay.  Knockoffs are always risky when buying on eBay, but choosing products that are NIB ("new in box") helps cut down on the fakes.  Luckily, I got the real deal, and have been using it sporadically for many months.  Following are my thoughts!
As a contouring bronzer for light to medium skin tones, Benefit Hoola is great.
Hoola in sunlight, swatched heavily (top) and blended (bottom, still heavier than I wear it)
It's matte (but smooth and not blotchy) and not orange, and therefore quite natural.  You do have to be sure not to over-apply, or the contouring won't fool anyone, but with a light touch and blending, it does the trick!  It also works as an all-over bronzer, though I find that tends to make me look fake (I'm pale, and no amount of bronzer will fool me or anyone else into thinking otherwise!); for someone darker than me, though, I'm sure it would work well in that capacity.  It lasts all day without fussiness, and the packaging is so cute (though not terribly travel-friendly)!  It comes with a flat, wide brush, which I promptly threw out so no longer have to show you, but I have read that some people actually like it (unlike most brushes that come included with things) and find it useful.  I use a flat-topped round brush to apply it as a contour, and a big fluffy bronzer/kabuki brush would be good for achieving an all-over glow.  I'm very pleased with my choice, and think it's a great option for those who are wary of bronzer!

Overview
$28 for 0.40 oz, available at Sephora, Benefit, Ulta, and some department stores


Quality: 9.5
Effectiveness: 5
Ease of Use: 5
Senses: 5 (hasn't broken me out!)

Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 5
Consistency: 5

Price: 1 (if you can find it on eBay (I got mine for $12) this would be a 3.5, but $28 is ridiculous)
Value: 4.5 (it's huge at 0.40 oz [at least, that's how large the one I have is; it's possible that the newer ones are only 0.28 oz, which would knock the value down to a 7 or 7.5], and I will never need to buy another bronzer again [though I may someday invest in a sheerer, shimmier one])
Grade: A-


How do you feel about bronzer?  Do you contour?  Have you tried Hoola?  What's your favorite bronzing/contouring product?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...