Friday, August 12, 2011

Basis Cleaner Clean Face Wash Review

After the debacle that was the Neutrogena Naturals facial cleanser, I decided to power forward and try a highly rated drugstore gel cleanser, Basis' Cleaner Clean face wash.  Did it work out better than the Neutrogena?

basis cleaner clean face wash
Image from drugstore.com

Well, yes and no.  On the yes front: it doesn't smell like hair dye!  It's nicely foamy, and leaves my skin feeling clean but not stripped.  On the no front: broke me out like mad.  I gave it a rest for a week and cut out all other skincare experiments to try and let my skin calm down (this still means I was using sea salt, honey, and moisturizer, but none of those irritate my skin).  Then, a couple days ago, once my chin no longer looked like it had been attacked by an angry sea urchin, I tried the Basis with my Clarisonic in the morning.  By that evening, I had pustules (what a truly disgusting word for a truly disgusting phenomenon) on my chin and around my mouth and nose.  I was not pleased.

I decided to do a little investigative work into what ingredient could be upsetting my skin so.  I compared the ingredients of the Neutrogena, Basis, and Mark cleansers (the former two broke me out, while the latter has served me well), and found what I suspect is the culprit: Cocamidopropyl Betaine.  It was the 2nd ingredient for both the Neutrogena and the Basis, but was completely absent from the Mark.  Now, at least, I (think I) know what to avoid!

Of course, I exchanged the Neutrogena for the Basis at Fred Meyer, but they let me return that and exchange it for Noxzema Deep Cleansing Cream (which I'll review sometime in the next couple weeks after I've had the chance to use it) even though I didn't have a receipt.  The cleanser I was initially going to go for, Phisoderm Anti-Blemish Gel, has Lauramidopropyl Betaine, which is apparently the major component in coca-betaine (the abbreviation used on the L'Oreal cleansers), though the Mark cleanser also has Lauramidopropyl Betaine, so I'm not sure if I needed to steer clear or not.  Turns out, there's a lot of cleansers that have coca-betaine: at least half the ones I checked out at the drugstore had it listed.

Have you tried the Basis cleanser?  How did it work for you?  Are there any ingredients you're sensitive to?  Comments make the sun shine!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...