Saturday, August 27, 2011

theBalm Frat Boy Blush/Eyeshadow Review and Swatches

I picked this up at TJ Maxx at less than half the retail price (score!), because I'd heard good things about it from Temptalia and the Muse, and because I love the other blushes I have from theBalm (Hot Mama and Down Boy).  It's a nearly-matte peachy-pink-apricot with exquisitely smooth texture and rich pigmentation.
theBalm Frat Boy

theBalm Frat Boy

The packaging is very cute, and the compact is about the size of my palm.  It's made of sturdy cardboard, which will absorb impact if dropped, and has a little mirror, which is a nice touch.

The first time I wore this, I swiped my blush brush lightly across the surface, and got way more product than I needed.  I knew this, and yet I still tried applying it to the one cheek, because I feared it might not be as pigmented as it appeared.  Wrong.  It is every bit as pigmented as it seems.  The texture is so soft and smooth that it's ridiculously easy to pick up, so now I just tap my brush on the surface, and that suffices.  It blends beautifully, though, so even if you get too much, it's not the end of the world.  It gives a lovely warm flush to my cheeks; the effect is similar to Hot Mama, but without the shimmer (and a little bit peachier).
Frat Boy in sunlight, applied heavily with a q-tip (top) and sponge (bottom)
Frat boy in cloudy light, applied medium-lightly with blush brush (top; the shimmers are from lingering bits of Mary-Lou Manizer) and heavily with sponge (bottom)
It definitely leans warm, so I think it would be best suited for neutral-to-warm undertones.  The generous pigmentation means it will work well on darker complexions, too.  Another winner from theBalm!

Here it is compared to Hot Mama and Down Boy:
Top to bottom, Frat Boy, Hot Mama, Down Boy
It's got a similar finish to Down Boy, though I think Frat Boy has a very, very mild sheen, giving it a matte-but-better finish.  It looks quite a bit more orange than Hot Mama, but I think that's because I swatched it more heavily than that one.  I have neutral undertones, and it looks great on me (if I do say so myself), definitely not too orange.

Overview
$21 for 0.30 oz (or $10 for 0.30 oz at TJ Maxx), available from Sephora

Quality: 9.5
Effectiveness: 5
Ease of Use: 4.75
Senses: 5
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 5
Consistency: 5
Price: 2 ($21 is a lot; this would be 3.75 for the TJ price)
Value: 5 (0.30 is huge, and it's so pigmented that it'll last a very, very long time)
Grade: A-

What do you think of Frat Boy?  Which of theBalm's blushes do you like best?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...