Sunday, August 28, 2011

Chanel Chance Eau Tendre Review and Pictures

I've written before of my love for Chanel Chance eau fraiche, still one of my favoritest fragrances.  I was finally down to the very dregs of it a few weeks ago (spraying air as often as perfume, it was sad), but I wasn't sure I wanted to order it again (again).  I have many memories associated with that perfume, and I felt it was time to find a new perfume to have feelings about.  This was, frankly, easier said than done.  I wanted something that I loved, but I also wanted something cheaper than the Chanel.  From the title of this post, you should realize I only succeeded on one count.

I sniffed my way through Macy's fragrance counters, but had yet to find anything that really captured my heart.  I liked Clinique Happy Heart on my wrist, but not down my cleavage (which is where I wear perfume, because that way I can smell it all the time, yummy), where it seemed too soapy, and none of the more expensive perfumes caught my interest enough to justify the price.  Then, a helpful salesman ("helpful" in the overeager, pressuring sense) asked if I'd tried Chance's newest incarnation, eau tendre.  I realized I had not, and asked him to spray it on my wrist.  I proceeded to stand in the aisle, obsessively sniffing my wrist and making pleased noises.  It was disturbing, for everyone involved.  I knew I had found It, the One Perfume to Rule Them All.  One Sephora order later, and I had my precious.  Having worn it for the past week+ has not diminished my love for it in the least, so I figured it was time to share the joy with y'all.
I know when I find a fragrance I like, but I'm really terrible at describing them.  My inclination is to just say "it's yummy," but I'll try to explain just what makes it yummy.  It is the perfect blend of fruity, floral, and warmth.  It smells a bit like pear (one of the topnotes is quince, a relative of the pear), but it's much more complex than that.  Here's the fragrance pyramid*, for your reference:

Top: Quince, Grapefruit
Middle: Jasmine, Iris, Hyacinth
Base: White Musk, Cedarwood, Ambry

The beauty of this fragrance is that it shifts and changes and never smells the same.  Chance eau tendre is an eau de toilette, so it's not as long-lasting as an eau de parfum, but I find a single spray lasts me about 5 hours, and 2 sprays gets me through the day.  It's gorgeous and delicious and I love it.  Next time you're in a department store, stop by the Chanel fragrance counter and give it a try.  You might love it, too!  (While you're there, I also recommend sniffing the original Chance [lovely for nighttime, too heavy for me during the day/summer], Chance eau fraiche, Allure, and Coco Mademoiselle––I want them all!)

Here are a couple more pictures of the bottle, taken with different settings on my phone's camera (with FxCamera).  Smartphones are so much fun...
on the Polaroid setting

on the toy camera setting (I never had a toy camera...)

$68 for 1.7 oz, available from Sephora, department stores, and Chanel
*Pyramid info taken from osmoz, a fantastic website to learn about fragrances
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...