Sunday, August 21, 2011

Grading Guidelines Update, Version 2.0

This blog is a learning experience for me, and one of the things that I'm always trying to improve (besides my photography) is the grading system.  I've decided that basing 40% of the grade on the price and value of a product is too limiting; this means that even great products like the theBalm Balmbini palette get not-so-great grades.  In addition, I've come to appreciate more how important scent and feel are to the overall experience and quality of a product.  Nothing turns me off a lipstick faster than that plasticky drugstore smell, while a light tingle from mint is a welcome addition (please don't douse me with it, though [Noxzema, said in my best scolding mother voice]).  Soooo, I've decided to tweak the grading guidelines I use, yet again.  I'm not going to go back and change all the grades of things right now [I may eventually, though no promises!], though I will update the most-viewed and palette posts shortly.  My hope is that the new guidelines will give a better representation of the product's virtues and vices, and help you make a more informed decision about whether it's worth your time and money.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, here's the new guidelines, along with a short description of what each criterion means, and the amount the score is out of.  Let me know if you have any questions or concerns! As noted before, I was inspired by Temptalia's grading scheme.

Quality (how good do I think the product is, overall; how well do all the aspects come together): 10
Effectiveness (does it do what it says it does): 5
Ease of Use (how much work does it take to make it work): 5
Senses (how does it smell, taste, and feel when worn; does it irritate in any way): 5
Pigmentation (is it evenly pigmented, at a level congruent to what it should be): 5
Duration (how long does it last): 5
Consistency (is it smooth and blendable): 5
Price (how expensive is it, taking into account the price of other similar products, regardless of quality): 5
Value (how much product do you get, compared to other similar products, and is the product any good): 5
Packaging (only really good or really bad packaging will get a score here; is it durable packaging, does it protect the product, is it easy to use, etc.): 0
Total: 50


There's more categories by which I'll evaluate products now, and I really hope that helps give the best reflection of the product possible.

So!  Questions?  Comments?  Jokes?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...