Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Prestige Total Intensity Eyeliner in Intense Olive and Strong Slate Review and Swatches

I went to Freddy's to pick up a couple more Essence items (ended up buying only one, because they didn't have the other! sadface) and was simply ecstatic to see that they were having a BOGO 1/2 on Prestige.  It was just the excuse I needed to pick up a couple more eyeliners, one in grey and one in olive green.  I regret to inform that they were not both as awesome as the first Total Intensity eyeliner I tried...
Strong Slate (left) and Intense Olive (right)

I tried swatching Intense Olive first, and was dismayed when the process was eerily reminiscent of my time with Wet N Wild's Megalast liner.  A big part of the tip broke off, way down into the pencil, so I had to sharpen it like mad just to get access to the liner again.  Anyone care to guess what happened then?  Correct, it broke again!  I realized the eyeliner itself had gotten dry and shrunken (I have no idea how this happens), so the wooden casing was no longer fully supporting it.  Instead, I could wriggle it around, and any attempts at lining were met with a mocking smile (from the pencil, metaphorically).  I started to wonder if I was going crazy.  Two eyeliners behaving that way in a row?  Especially when one of them was the marvelous, fantastic, incredible Total Intensity!  How could it be?!  I promptly moved to Strong Slate to see if it, too, was worthless.  It took me well over a minute to get the plastic cap to come off because it was jammed on so tightly, and I was becoming convinced that I was cursed.  I finally got the cap off, only to see that the tip of that was also bent strangely.  In a flustered panic, I swiped it across my arm, and was (pathetically) relieved to see that it glided across my skin with the greatest of ease, giving a smooth, pigmented line.  Cue sigh of relief.
Strong Slate (top) and Intense Olive (bottom); see how the olive one is uneven and chunky?  Gross.
I wore Strong Slate along my upper lashline, and it performed as well as Fierce Blue had.  I didn't even bother trying to wear Intense Olive, because if I can't get a smooth, even line on my arm with my glasses, there's no way I could get it on my eyes.  Intense Olive is going back, but Strong Slate is slated (bahaha, I'm so clever) to become one of my go-tos for lazy days.

Overview: Intense Olive (I'm grading them separately, because there's such a difference in quality)
$5.50 for 0.04 oz, available at drugstores

Quality: 3.5
Effectiveness: 1.5
Ease of Use: 1.5
Senses: 5 (I'm assuming it, like Fierce Blue and Strong Slate, wouldn't irritate my eyes, though I haven't gone to the trouble of wearing it)
Pigmentation: 3.5
Duration: 5 (it took a lot of eye makeup remover to get it and Strong Slate off my arm)
Consistency: 1.5
Price: 4
Value: 1
Grade: F
It's not quite as bad as Wet N Wild's Megalast, but it's pretty darn close, and definitely still deserves an F.

Overview: Strong Slate
$5.50 for 0.04 oz, available at drugstores

Quality: 9.5
Effectiveness: 5
Ease of Use: 5
Senses: 5
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 5
Consistency: 5
Price: 4
Value: 4.5
Grade: A


I probably just got a dud of Intense Olive, and I plan on exchanging it for another one in the same color (hoping they'll let me do that!).  I am disappointed that, out of the 3 liners I've tried from the Total Intensity line, one of them was cruddy, because it means the high quality isn't necessarily something I can take for granted from the line, but I love Fierce Blue and Strong Slate enough that I'm willing to give other colors a try.

Have you used any Total Intensity eyeliners from Prestige?  Which color is your favorite?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...