Monday, August 29, 2011

Wet N Wild Megalast Retractable Eyeliner in Charcoal Review and Swatches

Rite Aid had 40% off all Wet N Wild last week, and I happened to be in the area and went in.  There wasn't anything in particular on my to-buy list from WNW, but my mother was grocery shopping and I figured it would be more fun to look at makeup than go with her.  I ended up picking up 3 things: two Wild Shine lip lacquers (reviews to come) and the Megalast eyeliner in charcoal, since grey is the one major color I didn't yet have in my collection.  Sadly, this eyeliner will not be filling that gap, and it's going back as soon as I can make my way back over there.
Charcoal

There are so many problems with this product, I'm not sure where to begin.  I have never encountered an eyeliner that so completely let me down (heck, I'm not even sure I've encountered any makeup product so bad).  First off, the size: it's 0.005 oz.  No, I did not accidentally add a zero.  Now, retractable eyeliners are usually 0.01+ oz, as compared to 0.04 oz average for pencil eyeliners, so 0.005 oz is half as large as should be expected.  If it were a fantabulous liner, though, I would be able to excuse that.  That is, unfortunately, not the case.

I tried applying it to the back of my hand, and was surprised and disappointed when the tip promptly broke off.  I figured there must have been some weakness at the end, so I screwed the liner up and tried again.  I got a small, uneven, faintly-pigmented line before it broke again.  After trying yet again, and having the same result, I realized it wasn't a fluke.  The liner is dry and crumbly, and the pressure from trying to draw with it makes it break off.  I don't know if the liner is actually unpigmented, or if the texture is just such that I can't get heavy enough pressure to get a nice line, but the effect is the same: a sheer, uneven, patchy mess, with just about no redeeming value.
Applied with a single swipe (bottom) and 7 or 8 swipes (top) in sunlight

Overview
$3.99 for 0.005 oz, available at drugstores/wherever Wet N Wild is sold

Quality: 2.5
Effectiveness: 1
Ease of Use: 1
Senses: 5 (I haven't actually worn it on my eyes, but I'm just going to assume it wouldn't irritate my eyes)
Pigmentation: 2
Duration: 3 (it was easily washed off from the back of my hand, so I'm extrapolating from that)
Consistency: 2
Price: 4.25
Value: 0.5
Grade: F-


This is absolute rubbish.  Don't waste your time or money on this.  Wet N Wild has many good products, but this is not one of them.

Have you tried any of the Megalast liners?  Did they work out better for you than me?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...