Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Honey, Revisited

I've written before of my love of honey as a cleanser and mask, but recently bought some raw honey to use instead, and would like to talk about it today!  If you haven't read my original post, it's a good place to start.  Otherwise, read on!

Raw honey is honey that hasn't been heated or filtered, so it still has beeswax and pollen in it, which increases its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.  It's also less sticky and more spreadable than normal honey, and is an opaque light yellow color.

I can't say I've noticed a huge difference in performance between it and normal honey (or even it and filtered raw honey, which is what I was using before this), but I like it for my face much better than the other.  For one thing, it's not sticky, so it's a lot easier to work with.  For another, I can scoop a dollop up with a popsicle stick (you can buy them in bulk at craft stores; I happened to find some from when I was a child and liked to make popsicle stick dolls––did anyone else do that??) and easily spread it, so I find I use much less of it than I did with normal honey.
It takes about two and a half times that to cover my face

It is a lot more expensive, and harder to find; I bought a 16 oz jar for a little less than $10 at the locally owned hippie health food store (Capella, I say that all with love!), though there was also a 2 lb jar for around $15.  Since I didn't know if I would like it or not, I got the smaller size, but once it runs out (which will be many, many months down the road), I'll get the larger size, since it doesn't go bad.

My skin has been reacting badly to one of my cleansers (not sure which one, blergh), so I'm taking a break from them and just sticking to my trusty oil cleanser, sea salt toner, and this to wash my face.  It doesn't irritate me, it leaves my skin feeling nicely moisturized and balanced, and I like that it's all-natural.  If you haven't tried honey, you really should!  If you have, how did it work for you?  Have you tried raw honey?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...