Friday, July 22, 2011

Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser

My trusty Mark face wash is about to run out, so I decided to try and find something to replace it that was sulfate- and paraben-free.  Fred Meyer happened to have a coupon for $1.50 off any Neutrogena product, so I decided to take the plunge and try their new Neutrogena Naturals facial cleanser, which has no sulfates, parabens, and other such things, in spite of not having read any reviews for it.  We've all done it, so how did it work out this time?

Image from neutrogena.com
Not great, let me tell you.  Note to self: never, ever buy anything without having exhaustively researched first.  I've used it for a couple of days now, and that is enough for me to know it's not the cleanser for me.  My first problem: the smell.  It is extremely pungent, and to me, smells like hair dye.  Scented products have never been a problem for me in the past, but this is revolting.  I read some reviews from other people, though, who said they really liked the scent and that it smelled floral to them (please, let me never encounter that flower).  I tried plowing through anyways, hoping that it would be good in every other way.  But?  Nope.  Not a success.  It does have a mild foamy lather, which I like better than cleansers that don't foam at all (Cetaphil, I'm looking at you), but it leaves a weird film on my skin (like Olay!), which may be okay for those with drier skin, but for me, using it instead of the gel cleanser the past 2 mornings has resulted in a noticeable increase in oiliness.  I guess I'll just have to stretch my remaining Mark until I can make it out to Fred Meyer to return the Neutrogena and get another cleanser...I'm thinking of suspending my search for sulfate-free until the winter and opting for a gel cleanser (Basis' Cleaner Clean looks like a good option) for now.

Overview
Pros: No sulfates, parabens, etc., mild lather, pretty cheap, didn't break me out
Cons: The STENCH, leftover filmy residue, increased oiliness

Have you used anything from the Neutrogena Naturals line?  What did you think?  Do you care about sulfates and parabens in your skincare?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...