Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Revlon Lip Butter in Red Velvet Review and Swatches

Happy Valentine's Day! I am a firm believer that even those of us not in relationships should take the chance to drink some wine, eat some chocolate, and be grateful for our loved ones. Also, that if there's any day it's appropriate to wear red lips, it's today! I'm rocking Chanel Dragon, but I also have a cheaper, more wearable choice to share with you today: Revlon Red Velvet.
Revlon Red Velvet
Over the past couple weeks there've been various sales and coupons that have led to me procuring three more lip butters, two backups of Sugar Plum (my HG MLBB!) and the new-to-me Red Velvet.

In the tube, Red Velvet looks like a warm, bricky red, but on my lips it comes across as much cooler (thankfully, since warm reds do not flatter me!).

Red Velvet in sunshine
It's pretty opaque, but there's still some sheerness and translucency that lets the natural lip color through, so I think it is a chameleon shade that would flatter a wide range of skintones. Because it's so pigment-packed, I have to be more careful with application than I do with Berry Smoothie or Sugar Plum, and I really have to keep an eye on it to make sure I don't get ring-around-the-mouth syndrome, since it tends to wear off with eating or drinking. I do find that topping it with lip balm after it's worn off some lets the color migrate some and cover up the parts that have lost product, and I've also tried applying it and blotting, which leaves me with a really nice, natural stain. It's not as low-maintenance as other shades in the range, but it's also not really challenging to work with!

Red Velvet inside
If I don't eat or drink, I get about an hour of solid moisturizing, creamy wear and another hour or so of color; I never go more than a couple of hours without eating or drinking, though, so I can't say if it would extend beyond that!

Overall, it's a really nice, approachable, pretty red that's comfortable to wear, versatile, and won't break the bank. Definitely worth checking out the next time there's a sale!

Overview
~$7.50 for 0.09 oz, available at drugstores

Quality: 8.75
Effectiveness: 4.25 (not as moisturizing as they claim)
Ease of Use: 4.25
Senses: 5 (smells faintly sweet, but it's subtle, and there's no taste)
Pigmentation: 4.5 (more opaque than one would really think a lip butter should be; as long as you treat it like a moisturizing lipstick, though, you'll be pleased!)
Duration: 4
Consistency: 5
Price: 4
Value: 4
Packaging: +0.5 (the product fully retracts into the tube, and I like the tinted quilted case! Also, it makes a satisfying click when you close it)
Grade: B+


While it takes more effort to apply and maintain than the other lip butters I've tried, it's still a lovely shade and quality product. Pleased to have another red at my disposal!

What do you think of Red Velvet? Are you wearing anything special for Valentine's Day? How do you feel about the holiday?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...