Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sunday Summary

Whee, it's Sunday! I've spent my weekend doing lots of work and not much play. I have to write a paper on the alignment patterns of Lango, a Nilotic (African) language, so I've spent too many hours getting far too well-acquainted with the Lango grammar, and then I have ~30 essays to grade, not to mention a ton of articles to read and annotate. Thank heavens for Swat Guilt––at least I'm used to having too much work! I hope your weekend has been productive, relaxing, and/or fun!
What's the last TV show you watched?
Arrested Development! I recently discovered it on Netflix and have been watching it while I do my nails. I'm almost done with it, though :'-( What about you?

Links of the Week
Goose's Glitter tried out the $50 SensatioNail at-home gel manicure set and has an awesome review. $50 for LED lamp, polish, and various other accoutrements is a heck of a deal (though still outside my price range), and definitely worth checking out if you want a manicure that lasts up to 2 weeks!

The goddess Scrangie, nail and beauty blogger extraordinaire, has a truly fantastic post on magnetic nail polish tips and how-tos (and how-not-tos!). I cannot recommend it heartily enough if you're considering trying out magnetic polishes, or if you've tried them and not had complete succes (speaking!).

More China Glaze Magnetix swatches! This week, both Vampy Varnish and Scrangie shared their opinions of the collection. Basically, I really want them to arrive at my Sally's, goldarnit!

Temptalia featured another new/upcoming China Glaze collection this week: Hunger Games! Her swatches make me think I may need Luxe and Lush after all...oh dears.

Nihrida got some gorgeous Brazilian polishes and featured her favorite Ludurana, Emocionante. I want. And clearly I need to befriend a Brazilian who can send me all the pretties available there...

The Beauty Brains answers the question of what SPF to use, and why. The sun's been more present here than usual lately, and I should really pick up some sunscreen myself––thanks to them, I know to get at least SPF 30!

Makeup and Beauty Blog wrote about the magical brush-cleansing properties of Burt's Bees Mango Orange Energizing Bar, now added to my shopping list! She also posted a wonderful series of notes to herself. If you need a pick-me-up, this is the place to go!

theNotice wrote a characteristically spastic and hysterical review of Calvin Klein forbidden euphoria. So written should all fragrance reviews be!

Lipglossiping has a hilarious guide to treating yourself for Valentine's Day. Methinks she may be on to something!

The Beauty Look Book has swatches and reviews of 5 of the new Tom Ford lip glosses. I don't even like lip gloss, and I certainly can't afford any from Tom Ford, but damn, she makes me want to try them!

Getting Cheeky has fallen in love with Illamasqua Morale blush. This is why I shouldn't read other beauty blogs––I end up wanting everything.

Scrangie (yes, 3 posts from her in my weekly favorites––this is why I call her a goddess!) has tried out the new Sephora Prisma Chrome eyeshadow in Moon Beam. Looks pretty awesome, I have to say. I will definitely be checking it out in person when I'm in New York next month!

Just as there were a slew of beauty posts I found particularly enticing this week, there were also a number of non-beauty related links I enjoyed!
Jezebel has a scathing take-down of the WashPo's article on the psychology of cupcakes. It's worth reading just to read the ridiculous things people interpret cupcakes to represent ("through cupcakes, seemingly innocent little 'treats,' we can project fantasies of who and what we desire to be", among many, many other gems).

For comics, Cowbirds in Love has a funny reanalysis of the metaphor of fitting together like puzzle pieces, and Dinosaur Comics includes a discussion of not just "thon", but voiceless alveolar plosives as well, because there are never enough random linguistics references (and the mouseover text is hilarious).

And, last but certainly not least, Cute Overload shows a picture of an elephant shrew, described as "a head. with feet. that's it", and it is even more adorable than it sounds.

What links have you been loving this week?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...