Tuesday, February 14, 2012

China Glaze Ahoy! Nail Polish Review and Swatches

What's this, you say? Two posts in one day? Why yes, in honor of St. Valentine. According to Wikipedia, there were actually 14 St. Valentines, and they're not even sure if the day is named after one or the whole lot. Regardless, I'm sure they would all be honored to have two Valentine's Day (I always want to shorten that to VD, but...don't, for obvious reasons) themed beauty posts in their honor.
China Glaze Ahoy!
The approach of the Day of Love™ had me bummed out (6 weeks later and I'm still sad; break-ups suck, yo), so I decided, as one does, to cheer myself up with some nail polish. Specifically, some pink nail polish. I don't have very many pinks, and absolutely none that are bright, so when I saw China Glaze Ahoy! at Sally's, I knew it was the one for me. It's a bright, hot, magenta pink jelly base with gold and red glass fleck shimmer. I couldn't get pictures to capture how awesomely glowy it is, so I definitely recommend checking it out in person if you get the chance. It's the same kind of glitter that's in Ruby Pumps and Glittering Garland, both of which are immensely popular shades, and having experienced it in this polish makes me want the others, too.
3 coats Ahoy! on all nails

Completely color-inaccurate, but it shows the cool shimmer really well

In spite of being a jelly, it's basically opaque in 2 coats, though I did 3 for these swatches (too lazy to try and get it completely even with 2, since that takes more care). The formula was really nice and glided over my nails without bubbling, pooling, or dripping. I'm not crazy about the bottle shape, just because it is bulkier and wider at the bottom, but it's certainly not a deal-breaker.

Most impressively for me, at least, is how much I love the color. I usually find pinks unbearably boring, but the bright, happy color of this combined with the jelly-glitter finish has me completely enamored. I think I'll be reaching for this a lot once spring and summer come around!

Overview
~$5 for 0.50 oz, available from Sally Beauty as part of the core collection (and from various online etailers)

Color: 9.25 (it's pink, it's bright, it would look good on pretty much anyone, and it's not boring!)
Formula: 8.75
Brush & Bottle: 4
Pigmentation & Finish: 4.5
Price/Value: 4.25
Grade: B+


A wonderfully happy, cheerful pink with a kick. Perfect for bringing a smile to my face!

Have you tried Ahoy!? Do you have any favorite China Glaze polishes? Are you doing anything special with your nails for the holiday?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...