Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sephora Rouge Cream Lipstick in Sexy Game Review and Swatches

This is a lipstick I've had since last fall, but haven't gotten around to reviewing, in part because I don't wear it very often.  It's a lovely deep pink, very creamy and long-lasting, but it's too bold for everyday wear for me.  I decided to give it a try again last week to see if it would be good to bring with me to DC, since I knew I'd be going to some professional/fancy gatherings (my definition of "fancy" is informed by my Eugene upbringing, and therefore includes anything business casual and above) and figured it could be a nice choice to make me look classier.
Sephora Rouge Cream in Sexy Games (used to look nicer, sorry!)

I generally apply it with a lip brush for precision, since it is such a rich color:
Sexy Games applied with lip brush in sunlight

Same swatch in shade

I do find that applying with a lip brush, then swiping the tube directly on my lips, makes it easier to control and keeps it from going outside my lips and looking messy.
Sexy Games applied from the tube in sunlight

Same swatch in shade

If I follow that with blotting, I get a lovely rich, deep, long-lasting stain––like the color above, but matter.  It fades very evenly, and still has most of the color 4+ hours after application, including through snacking and drinking, which is crazy long for me.  Topping with gloss or balm would make it fade faster, but if you have dry lips, it would be more comfortable to wear that way.  I've read that applying, blotting, dusting with powder, applying again, and blotting again is the ideal way to extend the wear of lipstick, but haven't gone to the trouble of doing that myself; I'll update once I have.

The color is similar to Jordana Easyshine in Sugar Plum, though it's more opaque and pinker (as compared to Sugar Plum's berry-ness), and it lasts orders of magnitude longer, so it's better for events and the like where you don't want to need to go off and reapply very often.

The packaging is quite hefty, verging on bulky, but looks and feels elegant.  It has a swatch of the color at the base of the tube, which makes identifying the color easy (especially if you have more than one)

The formula is gorgeous, very creamy and pigmented and glides over lips with the greatest of ease, but it's not slippery or slick, so it clings to the lips really well (part of why it lasts so long).  I would love to try it in another color, and maybe even find an MLBB shade!  If you want a long-lasting, creamy, non-drying, richly pigmented lipstick, Sephora's Rouge Cream line is a fantastic choice.  I've read many reviews that compare it to lipsticks from luxury brands like YSL and Dior, but at half the price.  I don't reach for it as often as my other lipsticks because it's very opaque and rich, and I tend to gravitate towards sheerer lips, but it is excellent for those times when a dramatic lip is warranted.  Definitely worth checking out the next time you're at Sephora!

Overview
$12 for ?? (it seems to be on the larger end of a typical full-sized lipstick, so I would guess it's around 0.13-0.15 oz), available from Sephora

Quality: 9.5
Effectiveness: 5
Ease of Use: 4 (lip brush or careful application and blotting necessary)
Senses: 4.75 (has a very faint lipstick scent, but with a hint of berry, and doesn't taste like anything; doesn't dry my lips out or irritate them in any way)
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 5+
Consistency: 5
Price: 3 (it's the cheapest out of all the lipsticks available at Sephora, barring those on sale, but it's still much more than I would like to pay)
Value: 4.5
Grade: A-


Have you tried any of the Rouge Creams?  I know many people shy away from the Sephora brand makeup due to concerns about quality, but these lipsticks are really top-notch.  Have you had any bad experiences with Sephora brand stuff?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...