Saturday, September 24, 2011

NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Yogurt Review and Swatches

The second eye product I bought when in New York is the ever-hyped Jumbo Eye Pencil in Yogurt, touted as a great cream shadow on its own, and an equally great base for other shadows.
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Yogurt
I was expecting this eye pencil to be really soft and creamy and melty, but it's not.  At all.  It's very firm, in fact, and doesn't blend or spread very easily.  This makes it awesome as a base or wash on its own, but less awesome if you're wanting to blend it with other cream shadows/jumbo pencils.  It's also much peachier than I was expecting, in part because it's really pigmented, so it doesn't sheer out like I was expecting it to.
Over primer (top) and bare skin (bottom)––weird how it applies lighter over primer than not!

Same swatch, slightly different lighting; the shimmer level is more accurate here, but the color above is truer

Hence, I like it best just worn on my lid between my lashes and crease, and not up into the browbone area, because my skin is light enough that wearing it that high makes me look sick (too pink).  It's great for warming up eyeshadows, so if you have shadows that pull too cool on you, this could fix that.  It also brings out the shimmer and metalicness in shadows something crazy: when I wear Iced Mocha over it, it's like my eyes are coated in molten taupe.  Not really subtle, but super awesome.  It also works really well as an illuminator in the inner corner, especially because the tip makes it easy to get a more precise application.

I find it creases in a few hours when worn alone, but it's not that bad or noticeable (I can go 4 hours with no creasing on my oily lids, and it's presentable through hour 6), and when topped with primer it lasts most of the day before creasing at all (6 hours before creasing shows, and it can go several hours more before it looks yucky).  All in all, I'm very pleased with it, and would like to try other colors!

Overview
$3.00-$4.50 for 0.18 oz, available from NYX, Cherry Culture, Nonpareil Boutique, eBay, random stores, and other online retailers

Quality: 8.75
Effectiveness: 4.75 (supposed to glide on with "no pulling, tugging, or fading"
Ease of Use: 4.75 (you do have to be careful to only put it where you want it, because once it's there, it's not budging)
Senses: 5 (no irritation)
Pigmentation: 5 (nearly completely opaque)
Duration: 4.25 (for a cream product, it lasts a good long time, whether on its own or as a base)
Consistency: 4 (I do wish it were creamier, as that would make blending easier)
Price: 4.5 ($3.99 for a cream shadow stick is quite reasonable)
Value: 5 (most cream shadow pencils are around 0.10 oz, so 0.18 oz is fantastic, especially since the process of sharpening does waste some product)
Grade: A-

Have you tried any NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils?  What do you think of Yogurt (besides that it's wildly misnamed)?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...