Monday, July 25, 2011

Wet N Wild Color Icon Trio in Silent Treatment Review and Swatches

You may have heard about Wet N Wild's Color Icon palettes in recent months.  They've taken the beauty world by storm with their smooth texture, vivid pigmentation, and tiny price tag.  A few weeks ago I finally caved and bought the one that I thought I could get regular use out of: the Silent Treatment trio.
Wet N Wild Silent Treatment trio, lightly used

It's made up of a warm pink with very minimal shimmer, a dark brown matte with gold sparkle (which applies pretty much matte), and a purple-leaning taupe with shimmer.  I tend to use the colors as directed by the imprints in the eyeshadows: the taupe goes on my lid, the brown I brush into my crease and along my lashline, and the pink up to my browbone.

Silent Treatment over primer, finger application, in the same order as in palette

Silent Treatment, not over primer, sponge-tipped application, from light to dark
The shadows work best atop a primer, and can prove finicky to blend––nothing unbearable, just something I have to be careful of when applying.  Since I do my eye makeup without glasses (pretty much blind), I prefer shadows that have a bit more give and can be blended and evened out more easily, since I often find I've applied slightly unequally on both eyes.  These have very nice pigmentation, but they are not as smooth or buttery as my Too Faced shadows, so I often use one of the dark browns from the Natural Eye palette rather than the crease shade here, just because it's easier for me to modify it if I make mistakes.  The taupe is a lovely color, and is more purple on me than my other taupes (reviews to come), which makes it more unique (and for all those smartasses out there who say you can't modify unique ["how can something be more unique?? unique means one of a kind!"], it's been adopted into English as a normal adjective and therefore is available to be modified, tyvm).  I've found myself reaching for the browbone shade when using other shadows in my collection, because it works well for blending and sheering out ragged edges, in part because it's very similar to my skin color.

The palette comes with a sponge-tipped applicator and a scratchy brush, neither of which are terribly useful for application, but if you're in a pinch you could probably use them.  I like that the colors complement each other, and that you can make it more or less dramatic depending on the occasion.  If you had limited space and needed a nice, versatile, cheap palette, Silent Treatment would be a good choice.  Temptalia has a great review with pictures here, and you can google for other opinions beside my own––these palettes have been very popular!

Overview
$2.99 for 0.12 oz, available from drugstores

Pros: Cheap, flattering, versatile, pigmented
Cons: Could be smoother

Quality: 8.5
Effectiveness: 4.5
Ease of Use: 4 (need a primer, can be hard to blend)
Senses: 5 (no irritation or tingliness)
Pigmentation: 4.5
Duration: 5 (over primer)
Consistency: 4.5
Price: 5 (hard to argue with <$3)
Value: 5 (even though the shadows are slightly smaller than standard size [0.04 oz instead of 0.05], they're less than a buck apiece!)
Grade: A-


Have you tried any of Wet N Wild's trios?  What did you think?  What do you think of Silent Treatment?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...