Sunday, July 31, 2011

MAC Eyeshadow in Antiqued Review and Swatches

For graduation, one of my dearest friends asked me what makeup item I would hypothetically want, were she to hypothetically get me something makeup-y as a present.  Being the OCD spirit I am, I made a long list of MAC eyeshadows and lipsticks I would be happy to own and left it up to her to surprise me.  Methinks this is how makeup gifts should always be given!  I was excited beforehand because I knew I would be getting a great present, and the anticipation and surprise just added to the glee, and I was excited afterwards, because I had a new delightful MAC eyeshadow to play with!
I have green eyes (okay, that's a lie: I have one green eye (my right) and one blue eye (my left), though they change depending on the light), and purples and maroons are recommended for emphasizing green.  I knew, however, that I would never regularly use a purple or maroon, so instead included a red-toned brown, Antiqued.  I also included several more traditional yellow-based browns, but am very glad I received this one!

Antiqued has MAC's Veluxe Pearl finish, which is supposed to be smooth and richly pigmented (so much so that VPs have only 0.04 oz, as compared to the other finishes' 0.05 oz).  I'm not sure if I got a dud or what, but the pigmentation on mine is sub-par; the swatches below are all 3 swipes of a sponge-tipped applicator (not the usual way I apply eyeshadow, but usually very effective for swatching):

Antiqued over primer (top) and bare skin (bottom); color is somewhere between the two photos, though it shifts some depending on the light
I'm not sure if the shadow itself is sheer, or if it's just very hard from being too densely packed; I'm inclined towards the latter, because even using disproportionately more swipes than I do with my other shadows, the pan barely looks like I've used any.  The upside of the sheer application is that I never have to worry about misplacing it in my crease and ending up with uneven-looking eye makeup (a frequent problem for me, since I have to apply my eyeshadow without my glasses/basically blind); in the course of two or three layers, I can even out any errors with my crease brush.  The color is completely worth the hassle, though: a rich bronzey brown with shimmer.  In my crease, it adds the perfect amount of depth and interest, and when brushed along my lashline with a wet bent eyeliner brush, it defines my eyes beautifully and brings out the green.  It wears all day over primer, and isn't chalky with application, just sheer, and I find myself reaching for it 3 or 4 times a week.  All in all, I am really glad to have it in my collection, since it's unlike any of my other neutrals, but I would suggest trying it yourself before purchasing, in the hopes that the formula of other pots is better.

The grade for this is lower than I feel it should be, given the amount of use I get out of it, but the (for me) high price, small quantity, and less-than-stellar pigmentation all detract a lot from a beautiful color.

Overview
$14.50 for 0.04 oz, available at MAC and department stores

Price: 6.5 ($14.50 is much less than, say, NARS, but much more than I would like to spend!)
Value: 7.5 (0.04 oz is less than average, but the fact that I love the color and will use it up helps negate that somewhat, as well as the fact that the overly hard texture means it goes a long way)
Product: 7.25 (it's supposed to be a "highly pigmented powder" that "applies evenly" and "blends well"; two out of three ain't bad, but it ain't great, either)
Ease of Use: 4.5 (on the one hand, it's a pain to have to build up color; on the other, that's a good thing for me, because it means I don't have to spend a bunch of time trying to even it out/tone it down)
Pigmentation: 3.5 (see all comments above for why)
Duration: 5
Consistency: 3.5 (hard!)
Packaging: +1 (this is in part because I want to bump its score up a little, and in part because I think the MAC pots are so cute!  And portable, always a bonus for those of us who travel)
Grade: C+


What do you think of Antiqued?  Do you own any MAC eyeshadows?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...