Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Eyelash Curlers: My Favorite Medieval-Torture-Looking Tool

I wear mascara very, very rarely; I used to wear it daily, but between my emotional tendencies and allergies, I would often end up with mascara down my face, and since I'm severely far-sighted, my glasses enlarge my eyes a lot, making mascara that lengthens, thickens, and/or multiplies rather redundant.  Since my lashes are nearly black as it is, I also don't need the tinting properties of mascara.  The one thing I do need?  Curl.  The few times I've tried to use a curling mascara, though, I've ended up with mascara all over my eyelids (and once, memorable, on my nose).  Fortunately for me, eyelash curlers exist!  Many people are frightened by them, understandably--they do look like something used to torture blasphemers during the Inquisition.  But don't let that scare you off!

I used to use the Revlon eyelash curler, but a few months ago upgraded to one by Tarte, which came with a mini tube of mascara, for the very rare occasions I find myself wanting to wear it.  While I had to be careful not to pinch my eyelid with the Revlon one, that's not really a problem with the Tarte, and the shape of the Tarte one is better for a quick, natural curl.  The most beloved curler of them all is by Shu Uemura, which I sadly have not tried, as its $19 price tag is a little too steep for me, so I can't say how the Tarte compares.  What I can say is that it works really well for me, doesn't pinch, gives a nice curl without much effort (press and hold, manageable even before I've had my coffee), and gives me the wide-awake open-eyed look I want without the hassle and mess of mascara.  Highly recommended!
Before curling, with Urban Decay Mildew 24/7 eyeliner

After curling

What about you?  Do you share my frustrations with mascara?  Have you used eyelash curlers, and if so, what did you think?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...