Saturday, December 31, 2011

December Favorites

Many blogs are doing a "best of 2011" post, but since I only started my bloggle this year, and am (comparatively) reserved in my purchases, I don't feel at all qualified to do one of my own. However, monthly favorites/empties posts are also popular, and I figured I should maybe start doing that, and what better time than now? Unlike Tip Tuesday or Recommendation Thursday, it doesn't require too much research on my part, but will hopefully still be fun and interesting for you all! I'm also hoping that the fact that it's only once a month means I'll be able to actually consistently post it (unlike my "weekly" features...). So, without further ado, here's what I've been loving in December!

MAC Matchmaster 1Kryolan Anti-Shine Powder
MAC Matchmaster 1, Kryolan Anti-Shine Powder

I use these almost every day (occasionally I'll wear another foundation from one of my samples, but I always set it with Kryolan!). Yes, foundation and powder are boring "favorites", but as one of the only real staples in my collection, I felt I had to give them the attention they deserve!
Urban Decay Rollergirl Palette
Urban Decay Rollergirl: Woodstock, Verve, Suspect, Darkhorse

I don't wear eyeshadow every day, but I've found myself often reaching for Rollergirl those days that I do. The shadows are high-quality, the shimmer isn't too over-the-top, and the shades combine easy as pie (the neutrals, at least; still haven't quite got a handle on the pink!). It may be hard to find now (it was LE), but if you happen across it, I definitely recommend picking it up!

theBalm Cabana Boy Blush
theBalm Cabana Boy

With dreary weather and a pale, wan complexion, blush is necessary for me to look awake and alive. I've been wearing Cabana Boy a lot because its intense yet still blendable pigmentation and gorgeous plum-berry color just scream winter, and I find it complements my paleness quite nicely! I never cease to be amazed at how little product I need.

Revlon Sugar Plum Lip Butter, Le Métier de Beauté Fraise Crème Lip Crème, Jack Black Lip Balm
Le Métier de Beauté Fraise Crème, Revlon Sugar Plum, Jack Black Shea Butter & Vitamin E, Grapefruit & Ginger, Black Tea & Blackberry

Lippies are the product I have the most of, and I often reach for my newest products the most. This month has been no exception! Sugar Plum is my favorite foolproof, easy-to-wear, on-the-go lipstick, and I definitely plan on picking up a backup (or two!) the next time there's a sale on Revlon. Fraise Creme is the most expensive product in my collection (keeps going up! first it was Chanel Dragon, then MAC Matchmaster, and now this, at $36), so I have to restrain myself from wearing it all the time, but it's a struggle! It's gorgeous and pigmented and lasts forever, not to mention that it smells like vanilla crème brulée and feels like heaven. Review to come! Lastly, Jack Black is my HG lip balm; I've been using Black Tea & Blackberry every night before bed (though I really dislike the smell, I don't want to waste it!), and Grapefruit & Ginger and Shea Butter & Vitamin E during the day, depending on where I am (the former's in my purse, the latter at my desk).

Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb, Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Lexington Avenue
Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb, Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Lexington Avenue

I got a travel set of Flowerbomb last winter, and have recently "rediscovered" it (it was sitting on my bathroom counter all this time, but I hadn't bothered to wear it!). It's a great winter scent, very warm and sexy, and a little bit goes a long way––it lasts all day on me. I only have half a sample vial left of Lexington Ave. (though I'll buy another on eBay once it runs out!), so I don't wear it very often, but I did pull it out for Christmas, because it's such a wonderful, warm, spicy holiday scent. It lasts even longer than Flowerbomb, and smells stronger, but I love them both!

Milani Hi-Res, NYX Maroon
Milani Hi-Res, NYX Maroon


2 coats Milani Hi-Res, 2 coats NYX Maroon

I wore each of these polishes twice in December, no mean feat for someone as capricious with their nails as me! Hi-Res is just so delicately sparkly and holographic, and made me think of snow fairies or something similarly quaint, and Maroon is the perfect wintry red nail polish, dark and vampy and yet still glowy.

Uncommon Scents Amber Cream
Amber Cream

I am so grateful I started using this again! It is the best moisturizer I've tried, and I love how quickly it absorbs, how lovely it smells, and how well it calms my flaky skin and controls my oil, all at once. HG, definitely––though I'd love it even more if they added SPF!

Soap & Glory The Righteous Butter, European Secrets Hoofer's Choice
Soap & Glory The Righteous Butter Body Butter, European Secrets Hoofer's Choice

These two products help keep my over-washed, dry hands in soft, supple shape! In my original review of The Righteous Butter, I said I didn't think it was all that moisturizing, but I've begun to change my view––it absorbs absurdly quickly, and it's not thick and luxurious like, say, MOR Body Butter, but applying it at night lets me wake up with nice, soft, non-cracked hands. Hoofer's Choice hasn't been reviewed on the blog yet, but it will be soon! I picked it up at Sally's a couple weeks ago, and I have been amazed at what a difference it makes in my cuticles. No more dry hangnails or cracked cuticles! Really awesome stuff.

Empties: Okay, so, I'm a terrible, lazy blogger and didn't get around to taking pictures of my empties before I left for DC. I'M SORRY! I'm planning on doing a post on shampoo and conditioner (two out of three of this month's empties!), and I will definitely include pics there. Again, my sincerest apologies. I know you were all dying to see empty shampoo containers and sad-looking lip balm.
I don't go through products all that quickly, but this month I did finish bottles of Suave Professionals Color Protection Shampoo and Healthy Curls Conditioner; the former lasted about 3 months, I think, and the latter a month and a half (since my tangle-prone hair needs a boatload of conditioner!), which for $2/bottle ain't bad. I also finally finished my tube of Jack Black Lemon & Chamomile lip balm, which I'd been using every night for...6 months? 7 months? A really long time (that shit lasts forever!). I was glad to use it up, though, because I didn't like the smell very much, too sweet for me––better than Black Tea & Blackberry, sure (and darn, it's going to be a long time 'til that stuff's gone!), but not a scent I would purchase again.

And that's it for my favorites this month! What have you been loving? Have you finished any products lately? Share in the comments!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...