Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Urban Decay Rollergirl Palette Review and Swatches

I picked up several things during the Sephora F&F sale, including this palette from Urban Decay.  Originally released this summer, I wanted it from the first time I saw it on Temptalia, but I knew it would eventually go on sale, so I bided my time.  I've never tried any Urban Decay eyeshadows, but the Naked palette has gotten such rave reviews that I've been wanting to for a long time.  Luckily for me, on sale did it go, and with my 20% off code, I picked it up for a mere $14.40.  Happy days!
Closed Rollergirl palette (gloss not shown, obviously)
The set comes with an eyeshadow palette with 4 0.04 oz-size shadows, a 0.03 oz Whiskey 24/7 Glide On Eyeliner Pencil, and a 0.13 oz Lip Junkie lip gloss.  The palette is sturdy cardboard and has an 80s rollergirl theme; I think I would prefer more restrained, "boring" packaging, but it's well-made, conveniently sized, and has a little mirror on the inside of the lid, so I can't complain too much!  The shadows are housed in a row, and below them is a slot for the eyeliner––very portable and functional.
I also like that they didn't include any brushes, since freebie brushes are usually crap and make the packaging bulkier (Too Faced has this problem).  The shadows include:
Woodstock, a vibrant hot pink with shimmer
Woodstock, over bare skin (top), primer (middle), and applied sheerly as a blush (bottom)
I haven't worn this one yet, because I'm leery of the idea of pink eyeshadow (though Christine did a lovely look with it on Temptalia, so it can be done), but I plan on using it as a blush when I take this palette traveling.

Verve, a pale neutral beige shimmer with inklings of taupe (UD describes it as "pale oyster shimmer", which is pretty apt)
Verve on bare skin (top) and over primer (bottom); I put a lot on in these swatches, completely by accident, so just ignore the excess powder
This shade is a great all-over or highlighter, since it catches the light in a really flattering way but isn't overly sparkly or glittery. When I first swatched it with a finger, I was impressed by how soft and smooth it was, and how beautifully it blended, and it works just as well when applied.

Suspect, a muted neutral bronze
Suspect on bare skin (top) and over primer (bottom), also heavily swatched
This color has the same great texture as Verve, and is quite light; on me, it makes a perfect lid shade, since it's only marginally darker than my skin so it adds some contour but isn't really obvious, and it combines wonderfully with the other shades.

Darkhorse, a rich shimmery bronze-brown
Darkhorse on bare skin (top) and over primer (bottom)
This is the darkest shade and I use it primarily in my crease and outer corner, though I think it would also make a nice eyeliner.  It's very pigmented, so you only need a little, and it blends beautifully.

I've found I can wear these shadows by themselves (no primer) and have them last through the day with minimal creasing, which makes them a great option for those days when I'm too lazy to put on eyeshadow primer (shut up, it's like an extra 20 seconds and sometimes I don't have the time okay).  Over primer they last all day without creasing or fading, and there's little to no fallout.  They blend beautifully, and the two lighter neutrals are completely fool-proof and fantastic for when I don't want to have to be really precise in my application.

Whiskey 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencil
The eyeliner is Whiskey, a medium brown, and it's great as well; it's my first non-shimmer UD 24/7 eyeliner, and it wears all day with no fading and minimal smudging, and complements the eyeshadows perfectly.

Lip Junkie lip gloss in Crush
The gloss is the same formula as Midnight Cowboy, tingly and slightly thick and sticky.  I don't mind it, actually, because it smells nice and it wears really well and doesn't migrate all over my mouth (due to the stickiness, I would think).

Arm swatch, was too lazy to do a lip swatch, but I'll update if/when I ever take one
It adds a nice pop of color but it's still sheer and, therefore, very wearable.  If you're scared of bright pink lips, this could be a good way to ease yourself into the color family.

One thing I really like about this palette, besides the high quality, is the versatility.  The neutrals are very much neutrals, neither overly warm nor cool, which makes them a great choice for a wide variety of skin tones.  The whole set is also perfect for traveling, since it's got everything you need for a full face (besides foundation, of course) and it takes up so little space.  I see this becoming a staple in my travel arsenal, not just because it's so convenient but also because it's legitimately a great look.

It seems to be out of stock on Sephora, but it's available on Urban Decay's website, which is also having their 20% off Friends & Family sale through the 5th with code FFHOLIDAY11.  It's definitely worth picking up if you like neutral eyeshadows and don't own many of UD's products already (Verve is the only original-to-this-palette shade; Woodstock and Crush are permanent, Suspect was in Book of Shadows III, Darkhorse is in the Naked and Feminine palettes, and Whiskey was in the first iteration of the Naked palette [they now come with an eyeshadow brush instead]), and it's great for those who travel a lot or want something they can easily carry around in their bag for convenience.

Overview
$18 for whole set (0.12 oz eyeshadow, 0.03 oz eyeliner, 0.13 oz lip gloss), available from Urban Decay (see above for F&F sale code)

Quality: 9.5
Effectiveness: 4.75
Ease of Use: 5
Senses: 5
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 5
Consistency: 4.75
Price: 2.5 (3 if you get it 20% off)
Value: 5+ (Christine calculated that the contents of the palette are worth $73.85, so it's a helluva deal)
Packaging: +0.25 (it's cute, it's functional, and it's not larger than it needs to be!)
Grade: A


I am extremely pleased with this purchase, and I think it's a wonderful palette for pretty much anyone.  Get it now before it sells out!

Have you tried any Urban Decay eyeshadows?  Which shades are your favorite?  What do you think of Rollergirl?  Also: notice how all the pictures are in sunlight, because our weather was frickin' gorgeous today.  What was that you were saying about PacNW weather, Neens?  Lawyered!  (Himym reference ftw, I hope you're appreciative.)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...