Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Chanel Mat Lumière SPF 15 Foundation in 02 Porcelaine Review and Swatches

When I went foundation shopping at Macy's, I knew I wanted to stop by the Chanel/Dior counter just for kicks (and to pick up Chanel Dragon). The SA said the Mat Lumière formula would be best for me, as it's designed to control oil and be long-lasting but not heavy, and matched me to the lightest shade, 02 Porcelaine, a pale cool shade.
Image via Chanel
I was worried it might be too pink on me, but once blended out it matches perfectly, though it may be too light/pink on me when I'm "tan" (sunshine makes my skin marginally warmer and darker, like, half a shade).
extremely heavy swatch; I tried taking pictures of it blended, but you couldn't tell where it ended and my skin began

If price were no object, I would buy this foundation. The level of coverage is the same as MAC, medium but buildable, the color match is even better, it has the same level of SPF, and it smells great, a pleasantly floral perfume that fades after a few minutes. I'm not sure if it's quite as good at controlling my shine as the MAC, but it certainly comes close, and the texture is less silicone-y and more fluid (not that I dislike the MAC texture, because I don't! I think it's great, but this is even better). It's also really long-lasting and transfer-resistant: even washing the back of my hand with soap and water didn't remove all of it (or even most of it), so it's definitely one I need to use makeup remover with, but I can also rest easy that it won't migrate or fade over the course of the day. Not to mention, the little sample vial they gave me was glass, not plastic, and the lid had a little slotted spatula that dips into the foundation and makes it really easy (and fun!) to get product out. Chanel certainly knows how to make a girl feel pampered!

But, at $54 for 1 oz, it will remain a wishlist item for the foreseeable future, not least because I have my Matchmaster that I love. If you have oily skin and are in the mood for a splurge on a foundation with medium coverage and great wear, a lovely smell, and luxe packaging, Mat Lumière is worth checking out. Unfortunately, the color range is restricted to the lighter end of the spectrum, with nothing darker than medium (MAC NC/NW30), a limitation of most designer brands. Here's hoping they all start expanding their range to include darker lovelies as well!

Overview
$54.00 for 1 oz, available from Chanel and department stores (Nordstrom has free shipping)

Quality: 9.5
Effectiveness: 4.5
Ease of Use: 5 (I just apply with fingers, and it works fine)
Senses: 5 (actually smells good!)
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 4.75
Consistency: 5
Price: 1
Value: 3
Packaging: +0.5 (I haven't played with the full-size version myself, so I don't know how effective the pump mechanism is for sure; if it works well, this would be +1)
Grade: B


If only it weren't so darn expensive! Have you tried any Chanel foundations? What did you think?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...