Thursday, December 29, 2011

NYX Maroon Nail Polish Review and Swatches

I thought I'd reviewed this already, but going through my photos stash, I realized I hadn't! Whoopsy daisy, my bad. Better late than never! Especially since this is a permanent shade.
2 coats NYX Maroon, no top coat
Maroon is a rich, deep maroon (shocking) with gold, red, and purple shimmers. You can't see the purple except under certain lights, very up close (such as under my magnifying lamp with macro setting!; enlarge the first photo for a better view), but it gives an interesting depth and character to the shade.

2 coats NYX Maroon with fast-dry top coat

It is really opaque and shiny; I could get away with 1 thick coat, or two thinner coats, and it lasted fine (no chipping).
Christmas mani: 1 coat Maroon

I always use a fast-dry top coat, due to my tendency to bang my nails against stuff right after applying polish (it's a serious problem, I'm telling you), but it was plenty shiny on its own. It also applied like a dream, very smooth and flowy. It's the perfect dark red shimmer, very holiday-appropriate, but I'm of course going to continue wearing it long into the coming months.

Overview
$3.50-$4.00 for 0.52 oz, available from Cherry Culture, NYX, and random stores

Quality: 9.5
Effectiveness: 5
Ease of Use: 5
Senses: 5
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 5
Consistency: 5
Price: 4
Value: 5
Packaging: +0 (The bottle is really nice and classy and sturdy, clearly modeled on Deborah Lippmann's bottle design, but it also takes up a lot of space and can feel unwieldy)
Grade: A(+)


If you're looking for a great vampy red polish with a kick, definitely consider Maroon. A purchase well-made!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...