Monday, January 2, 2012

Estee Lauder Double Wear SPF 10 in 1C1 Shell Review and Swatches

Awhile ago, I went to Macy's to look for a new foundation and ended up getting color-matched at 5 counters and walking away with 4 foundation samples (Clarins was out of my shade, sadface). I decided to try the Estee Lauder Double Wear first, because I've heard so many great things about it from people with oily/acne-prone skin. It's touted as being a medium-full coverage foundation that gives a semi-matte, long-lasting finish for up to 15 hours.
Image via Nordstrom
I was matched to the lightest cool shade, Shell (Ecru, the peachy/neutral shade, was too yellow for me, and I haven't tried Bone, the lightest warm shade, but I think it may be darker than Shell). The SA recommended applying it with a foundation brush, but I've found that first applying with my fingers and then blending/buffing with a foundation or flat-top brush saves product and still gives a very nice finish.
Shell, heavy swatch
Double Wear is very pigmented, so it's important to find the right color. Shell is almost too pink on me, but with proper blending it comes out alright; I suspect it would be too pink when I have a little more sun exposure. It is very full-coverage, more so than I really want, since I prefer to layer my coverage where needed, which keeps it from feeling too heavy (or looking too fake).

The SA told me that it was scented, which I figured I would be fine with, because I don't usually have too sensitive a nose. Unfortunately, it's not a perfumey scent, it's a strong rotting floral scent, even worse than Revlon (which doesn't smell great, I'll be the first to say), and I find it lasts several minutes before I feel comfortable breathing through my nose. Definite downside.

Applied over Amber Cream and topped with Kryolan powder, it wears several hours on me before I get oily, though not quite as long as MAC Matchmaster. I've tried wearing it over other moisturizers, and it made my pores look huge, so I think finding the right base is really important with this.

Between the fact that it's full-coverage rather than medium but buildable and the smell, it's just not quite the right fit for me. But if you're looking for a full-coverage foundation that lasts well on oily skin, Double Wear is worth a look, especially if you don't mind the smell! Another plus: it comes in a very wide range of shades, down to MAC NC/NW 45, which makes it a good place to look if you have darker skin.

Overview
$35 for 1 oz, available from department stores (in-store and online) and Estee Lauder

Quality: 8
Effectiveness: 4.5
Ease of Use: 4.5
Senses: 3 (the smell!)
Pigmentation: 4.5 (it claims to be medium-full coverage, but I definitely find it to be full coverage)
Duration: 4.5
Consistency: 4.5
Price: 1.75
Value: 4.25 (1 oz is typical for foundation, but it's so pigmented that you don't need all that much)
Packaging: 0 (no pump mechanism)
Grade: B-

Have you tried Double Wear? What did you think?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...