Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Milani One Coat Glitter in Gold Glitz Review and Swatches

Milani had 50% off plus free shipping on Cyber Monday, which I was of course all over. I picked up several things, including 5 nail polishes (glitters and holos, whee!). The first one I'll be reviewing is Gold Glitz, a super dense gold and bronze glitter. Believe it or not, one coat actually did the trick. *GASP* I know, right?!
Milani Gold Glitz
I got this color because Goose's Glitter had done a comparison between it and butter LONDON West End Wonderland, which I've thought was gorgeous for ages, and figured this would be a nice way to cure the craving at a cheaper price. One thing I forgot to take into account: I don't have warm yellow undertones. Gold plus bronze glitter is really warm, too warm for me to wear, and it just looks wrong against my skintone. See below for the epic lobsterhands:
It just...doesn't work.
If you're warmer and/or darker complected than me, Gold Glitz may be the perfect holiday gold for you. I need something cooler, like Color Club Gingerbread (review to come) or the original butter LONDON West End Wonderland (which, at $14, is too pricey for me to justify).

The formula on this is really thick, as would be expected from a one coat glitter, but still spreadable, and I didn't have any issues getting it to cover the nail evenly, and it dried really quickly. I applied 1 coat of Gold Glitz over 1 coat Sally Hansen Hard as Nails and 1 coat Gelous, and then topped it with another coat of Gelous (to smooth out the bumpiness) and a coat of INM Out the Door fast-dry top coat. This is my normal manicure layering procedure, since I find it keeps my nails looking good for longer, but it did not work with this polish: my right middle finger chipped the morning after I'd painted my nails (as in, some 14 hours later?). I haven't had that be a problem with any other polishes––they always get tip wear after a couple of days, but never chipping on the first day, so I've had to knock off some points for duration.

All in all, this isn't a polish that worked for me, but I so wish it had! If you can wear warm golds and have less finicky nails than mine, it's definitely worth checking out, because it's so glittery and pretty. One more picture for your viewing pleasure:
Rawr!
Overview
$4.99 for 0.45 oz, available at some drugstores, Milani, and Cherry Culture (for $3.99 currently)

Quality: 7
Effectiveness: 3 (supposed to have a "longlasting, chip-resistant formula", which was not the case for me)
Ease of Use: 3.5 (removal sucks)
Senses: 3.75 (needs a couple layers of top coat, if not more)
Pigmentation: 5 (I only needed one coat, miraculously)
Duration: 1
Consistency: 4 (thick, but not unmanageable)
Price: 3.5 (I'm cheap, what can I say? On sale it's more like a 4.5)
Value: 5 (you do only need 1 coat, so a bottle should last a long while)
Grade: C–


If it hadn't chipped so quickly, it would have a much better grade, but sadly, it did, so that's something to keep in mind when you're considering it. I don't think everyone's had that problem, though, so as always, take my reviews with a grain of salt!

What do you think of Gold Glitz? Have you tried any of the Milani One Coat Glitters? 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...