Friday, December 23, 2011

Beach Meanderings

I've been feeling rather massively unmotivated the past few days, and I'm going to blame it on Christmas ('tis the season and all that). I hope I get my mojo back soon, because I have some more things to review, and I'd like to get back into the swing of my weekly features, since nothing but reviews can get a bit tedious. Until then, though, here's a bunch of pictures from the trip to the coast that my mother and I just took. Enjoy! (Note: It was the biggest pain in the butt to get these pictures to upload, so I sincerely hope you enjoy them. Feel free to click on any to enlarge them.)

The Gilbert Inn in Seaside, where we stayed; it was first built in 1892 but has since been remodeled (duh) and recently reopened

We stayed in the Renee room


Various rooms in the inn's shared living area; it was just us and one or two other groups, though we saw neither hide nor hair of the other guests, so we essentially had the whole house to ourselves

Festive Christmas tree

Free chocolate chip oatmeal cookies!!! I ate no less than 6 during my stay. It was especially amazing when they were fresh from the oven and still gooey. Yum

Seaside has a boardwalk along the beach that we walked along for a little ways. The current Seaside is where Lewis and Clark (the latter of whom is an ancestor of mine) spent their winter on the Pacific, so there's many placards and signs around commemorating and explaining, though I didn't bother to take a picture of any (whoops)

Isn't it gorgeous?? Much of the Seaside area is really flat, so when the tsunami comes (as it eventually will; it's long-overdue, actually), the whole area will be wiped out. But it's lovely for now!

We pulled over at an overlook on our way home, and got to see some whales! They're heading south for the winter, and will be making their way back come March. They were way out in the ocean, though, so I couldn't get a picture (or befriend them, sadly)

My beautiful mother :-)

Me surveying the land, much like I like to imagine my progenitor did a couple of centuries ago

Might I direct your attention to this lovely piece of land, yours for the low, low price of nothing (all beaches in Oregon are public property)

The only decent picture I got from the tea place (La Tea Da) we stopped at in Tillamook (home of the cheese, yes!) on our way back. Delicious and delightful!

The best damn scone I have ever eaten, from Lazy Susan's in Cannon Beach. Seriously. If you're ever in the area, you have to stop there!

And that's all, folks. It was really nice to get away for a couple of days, but now I'm looking down the barrel at Christmas and it's not pretty. So much work to do to get the house ready for the swarms of family that will be descending in a couple of days...

How are your holidays going so far? Do you get much of a break? We have a month off at the UO, which is awesome, but the boyfriend only gets Monday off (much less awesome). Are you done with Christmas shopping? And, most importantly, what's your favorite kind of Christmas candy??
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...