Thursday, December 22, 2011

Milani 3D Holographic Nail Polish in Hi-Res Review and Swatches

Another Milani nail polish, woohoo! This one is from their 3D Holographic line, which has 6 colors, of which I have 3. I wanted something that would be easier to apply and remove than a glitter, but not as boring as a cream, and this polish fulfilled both those desires!
Milani Hi-Res
It's a really delicate lavender linear holo. In indirect light or head-on direct light, it looks like a simple lavender shimmer, very pretty but nothing spectacular, but once you get it under direct light at an angle, it goes completely rainbowily crazy and beautiful.
See, not so much holo here (straight-on direct light)...

...or here.

But here, WHOA! Tilt it a little bit and the rainbows come out to play.

More rainbowiness.

It's really mesmerizing and fairy-like and I love, love, love it. I did two coats, and while it wasn't completely opaque (you could still see light coming through the tips of my nails), there wasn't an obvious VNL and there was plenty of coverage for a really rainbow look. The formula was pretty good, no weird bubbling, though on my nail wheel I could see that it had some streaking, but that's not at all evident on the nail. And it only needed one coat of INM Out the Door fast-dry top coat to be shiny and glassy! Reminds me why sometimes it's nice to get away from the flashy glitters, not that this isn't plenty flashy in its own way. It is much more subdued than other polishes in my collection, though, and I think it's one that's appropriate in a wider range of settings.

This lasted 2 days with minor tip wear before I got bored and took it off, which is about average for me, and much better than the wear for the One Coat Glitter from the brand that I tried. It's a lovely, sedate (as a holo can be, at least), easy, fun holo, and I think I'll be wearing it often. Unlike blue, I really like the look of purple on my nails, especially light holo purple!

Overview
$4.99 for 0.45 oz, available from some drugstores and Milani, $3.99 for 0.45 oz, available from Cherry Culture

Quality: 8.25
Effectiveness: 4 (a 5 if not for the truly ludicrous claims put forth on the company's website: "nail lacquer that exhibits a unique 3D Holographic effect that no other nail lacquer has ever achieved"...)
Ease of Use: 5 (easy to apply, and even easier to remove!)
Senses: 5 (smooth as glass)
Pigmentation: 4.5 (could be more pigmented, since there is still some translucency, even after 3 coats [which I did on a nail wheel; if you would like pictures, leave a comment and I'll add them!])
Duration: 4.75
Consistency: 4.75
Price: 3.75
Value: 5
Grade: A-


What do you think of Hi-Res? Do you have any favorite purple holos? Have you tried any other polishes from the 3D Holographic line?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...