Saturday, November 26, 2011

Skincare Saturday: Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque Review

It's been awhile since I've posted anything for Skincare Saturday, and for that I apologize.  My skin has been acting up like crazy the past couple months, and I've gradually had to learn that I should just stick to the prescription stuff and leave experimentation for some other time, which means I've been very wary about adding anything to my routine.  A few weeks ago, some drugstore (Walgreens, maybe?) had Queen Helene Mint Julep masque on sale for $2.99, so I decided I had to pick it up, grouchy skin be damned.  I've only used it a couple of times, so these are really more just my observations about the product than a true review.
Image from Drugstore.com

Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque is the most popular clay mask, and it's readily available in drugstores everywhere.  But, much like how Maybelline's Great Lash mascara is the #1 mascara in America in spite of its truly abysmal performance (2.1/5 on MUA, with only 25% buying again), I find that Queen Helene just doesn't live up to the hype for me.  Don't get me wrong, there are lots of things about it that I like, such as the wonderfully thick-yet-spreadable consistency, the affordable price, the fact that it has both kaolin and bentonite clay, how quickly it dries, and the minty-toothpaste smell (literally, it smells just like toothpaste––very refreshing).  What I don't like, though, is how much mint is in it.  Now, you might be wondering what could possibly be wrong with mint?  Mint's great!  It makes you tingly and smells delicious, and it's fantastic added to iced tea.  I will agree with you on all of those counts.  The problem is the amount of mint.  I mentioned before it smells like toothpaste, and there's a reason for that––the 8 gajillion liters of mint extract they put in the mask.  Okay, that might be a bit hyperbolic, but my point still stands.

"I'm still not seeing the problem here, Amy...get to the point!"  Well, dear imaginary reader, allow me to remind you that tingliness does not equal effectiveness, and can in fact often lead to irritation of the skin.  When I put this mask on, it burns.  It is so full of mint that I actually feel like it's burrowing through my skin, down my pores, and into my brain.  It's not painful, per se, but it is certainly not comfortable (as you probably guessed from the previous sentence).  I think this mask would be best suited for people with normal-combination, non-sensitive skin, because for me (oily, sensitive, very reactive skin), it's just too much.  I'll just stick with my Freeman Lemon & Mint mask (which I may not have reviewed yet, oops?) and Mark Shine Fighter, neither of which assault my epidermis.
~$4.50 for 8 oz, available at drugstores

Have you used Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque?  Lots of people use and love it, so if you're one of them, I'd love to hear from you!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...