Friday, November 25, 2011

Fragrance Friday: Givenchy Very Irresistible L'Intense and Saffron James Le'a Reviews

After the past couple FFs, I was beginning to think I was a miserly shrew who turned everything she smelled rancid. Then I remembered that I still have perfumes I wear and love, so threw that theory on the backburner and tried another couple perfumes from my sample collection. And, what do you know, I actually found one I like!

Givenchy Very Irresistible L'Intense, via Sephora
But first, the one I'm less crazy about. Givenchy Very Irresistible L'Intense is supposedly Very Irresistible on steroids, but having not smelled VI in a very long time, I can't really attest for or against that. Regardless, I can give you my (completely non-professional) impressions of the scent. 1) It smells like baby powder, which diminishes over time, but is definitely underlying all the way through. Now, I love babies (not in a creepy way! Unless you find strange women in grocery stores making faces at your baby to be creepy, that is), but I do not want to smell like one's butt, even if it is clean. There are also some fruity (plum) and floral (rose) notes, as well as a healthy dash of patchouli, but nothing can really conquer baby powder. This one is a pass for me, BUT, unlike some other perfumes I've "reviewed" (read: ranted about), I didn't feel the need to wash this one off.
$56.50 for 1 oz, $80.50 for 1.7 oz, available from Sephora

Saffron James Le'a, via Nordstrom
Saffron James Le'a was a sample I received with a Nordstrom order, and as I'd never even heard of the brand, much less smelled it, I was excited to give it a try. If you like genuine tropical florals, Le'a is the scent for you. It's just like smelling a plumeria blossom (I mean, I assume, having never actually smelled a plumeria blossom myself). It's not terribly complex, since it's just plumeria, pineapple, passion flower, and hibiscus, but it's really lovely and perfect for warm summer days, and has a nice underlying green earthy crispness to it (like leaves). I think I'll secret my sample away to be used on days when I'm depressed by the rain, because it smells like sunshine and warmth (though that might just make me sadder about winter?). The scent lasts several hours before it's faded significantly, and it doesn't really change much over the course of its life, so you don't have to worry about it getting too sweet. Sadly, it's $85 for 1 oz, so it is not a scent I will ever be purchasing, but I'm very pleased to have the sample!
$85.00 for 1 oz, available from Nordstrom

Have you tried either of these perfumes? What did you think? Do either sound appealing to you?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...