Sunday, November 20, 2011

Revlon Carbonite LE Nail Polish Review and Swatches

Chanel came out with a trio of polishes this summer, including a sparkling gunmetal-gold called Graphite (and a truly lovely green duochrome, Peridot), that was very popular.  Of course, at $25/bottle, it's way out of my price range.  Revlon came out with a "dupe" a couple months later, Carbonite (clever, guys), which I happened to recently see on clearance at Rite Aid, so I picked it up so I could see what the hype was all about (you can see Cafe Makeup's comparison of the two here and here).  For me: major letdown.
Revlon Carbonite
Carbonite is a sparkly gunmetal with green/gold leanings, which I think would work much better on someone darker and/or warmer than me, since it tends to give me lobster hands (makes my skin look red).
2 coats, enlarge to see the bits of gold

included only to show how red it makes my skin look (and no, that's not my real nail––still the nail wheel!)

I'm just not wild about the color (neither is my mother, and she never bothers to comment on the crazy polishes I wear, except when I shove my fingers in her face and tell her to "look how pretty!"), and the sparkles are not nearly sparkly enough for me––they seem almost flat and dull, even with top coat.  On the upside, the formula is great and is completely opaque in 2 coats, and it lasted more than a week on my toes.  I think I would like it much better if it didn't have the warm undertones it does, but as it is, I don't think I'll be getting much wear out of it.  So if anyone wants a bottle, let me know and I'll send it to you!

Overview
No longer available for sale, though it's ~$7.50 on eBay


Quality: 7.25
Effectiveness: 5
Ease of Use: 5
Senses: 4.5 (isn't bumpy after top coat)
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 5
Consistency: 5
Price: 4 (I got it for 40% off, so $3)
Value: 4.5
Packaging: -0.25 (I hate the Revlon polish bottles, because they're wider at the base, which means there's a lot of polish the brush can't reach, plus they take up more space in storage!)
Grade: A-


As much as I dislike the shade on me and find the shimmer to be lackluster (literally), it is overall a good nail polish, and if you like the color, it's definitely a worthwhile pick!

What do you think of Carbonite?  What did you think of Graphite?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...