Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Essence Holographics.Com LE Nail Polish in Prism@tic White Review and Swatches

Essence came out with a "holographic" collection (scare quotes because the products were not, in fact, actually holographic, but rather duo/multichrome, a distinction apparently lost on the German brand) a few months ago, and I happened to come across a small display of some of the products in Ulta a few weeks ago.  I decided to only pick up one polish, Prism@tic White (stupid name, guys), that I thought I could use for wintry-themed nails and to layer over other polishes.  I decided to wear it over black to start with, because I knew its duochromeness would show up better over a dark polish.

Essence Prism@tic White
You guys, it is so awesome.  I know I always say I don't like wearing blue polish on my nails, but this is just so bright and happy that I can't find any fault in it.  It's usually a bright, vibrant sky-blue teal, but  it shifts between a cool-toned purple to a fluorescent pink depending on the lighting, and I love how the color changes like that regardless of light source; inside, outside, fluorescent, incandescent, they all work just peachy.
AAAH SO COOL!

2 coats on its own (left) and one coat over 2 coats Wet N Wild Black Creme (right)

Same as above

Worn on its own, it's kind of blah; it mostly just looks like a sheer white with some blue and pink flash.  I tried layering it over a red cream polish, and it lightened it to a pink and added a blue sheen (that changes colors depending on the angle, of course).  I want to try layering it over white polish, too, but I don't yet own a white polish and I'm trying to be good and not buy more until after Thanksgiving, but I'll update this post when I get some, since I think that would make it really snowy and wonderful for the winter.

The formula is good; it wasn't streaky, though I was initially afraid it would be, since frosty light colors often pool strangely, but it went on and evened out just fine, helped, no doubt, by the maneuverable brush.  It dried pretty quickly, too, and, while I can't say how long it really lasts (since, um, I got bored/decided to procrastinate on research by changing my nail polish), I will say that if you happen to come across it, it's definitely worth picking up!

Overview
$1.99 for 0.33 oz, available from select drugstores and Ulta

Quality: 8.5
Effectiveness: 4.75
Ease of Use: 4.75
Senses: 5
Pigmentation: 4 (it's perfect layered over another polish, but it's very sheer on its own)
Duration: 5 (I'm just going to say that, since it didn't chip or show noticeable tip wear after 2 days, it would last fine longer, too)
Consistency: 5
Price: 4.75
Value: 4.75
Grade: A


I think it's really lovely and a great polish for layering.  I don't know if you'll be able to find it anywhere anymore, but Ulta's worth checking out if you're interested.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...