Saturday, November 19, 2011

Skincare Saturday: Bare Escentuals bareMinerals Deep Cleansing Foam Review

I'd been wanting to try this cleanser since Christine reviewed it several months ago, but as my skin is only dry in the winter, I had no real reason to buy a new cleanser to try and treat that.  The past month or so, though, my skin has been feeling tight and I've had some dry patches (in large part from the acne treatments I'm using), so I figured Sephora's F&F sale was the perfect time to pick it up.  I've been using it for a month and a half now, on-and-off (more on that shortly), and feel equipped to review it now.
Bare Escentuals bareMinerals Deep Cleansing Foam

Bare Escentuals says this cleanser, and other items in their skincare line, has some special RareMinerals ActiveSoil (guys, where'd the spaces go?) complex and "removes makeup, dissolves impurities, and rebalances skin for a soft, smooth complexion [...] leaving skin feeling perfectly clean, instantly hydrated, and renewed with a naturally luminous glow".  It's an incredibly dense white cream that turns into a luscious, soft, super-luxurious foam with a bit of water and some friction.  I need only a drop the size of a baby pea to cover my whole face and neck, so the 4.2 oz should last, um, forever.  I've probably used it 30 or 40 times, and I can't tell that it's been used at all.  It's great to use with a Clarisonic, too, since it just skates over the skin and foams like mad.  It rinses off really easily, but doesn't leave my skin feeling stripped––whereas I often feel I need moisturizer after using Purity, I have no tightness with this.  It smells nice, too, very subtly herby, light enough to not bother any but the absolutely most sensitive of noses.  I've used it a few times to take off my makeup, which it certainly seems to do, though I always double-wash my face at night (either oil cleanser + normal cleanser, or normal cleanser + acne cleanser) so I can't say for sure it gets rid of everything.  They recommend it not be used around the eyes, though I've suffered no ill effects from using it to wash off light eye makeup; if you wear heavier eye makeup (eyeliner, mascara, primer), you should use a separate makeup remover for that.  Really, this is a great cleanser.

Unfortunately, it breaks me out.  I KNOW RIGHT?!  I wasn't positive, so after using it for a couple of weeks I went off it for a few days then went back on, and thought I noticed an increase in acne but I wasn't sure if maybe there were other contributing factors, so I did the same again a couple weeks later, and...yup, definitely the cleanser.  Within a couple days of adding this back into my routine, I had several new blemishes that I now have to wait to heal (boo).  So, I'll be returning this, and possibly picking up First Aid Beauty's cleanser, which has gotten great reviews on MUA and Sephora for being a moisturizing cleanser.  I'm so annoyed with my skin for being so reactive!  Urgh.

If your skin is less acne-prone/reactive than mine, definitely consider Bare Escentuals Deep Cleansing Foam for the drier months.  The texture is to die for, and though it's more expensive than drugstore options, it will last at least a year (seriously) and, unlike other supposedly-moisturizing foams (*cough* Garnier Nutritioniste Moisture Rescue), actually leaves skin feeling hydrated and smooth, not tight and dry.  And Sephora takes returns with receipts, so if it doesn't work for you, you can get your money back.
$20 for 4.2 oz, available from Sephora, Amazon (for $19), and Bare Escentuals

What's your favorite moisturizing cleanser?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...