Friday, January 20, 2012

Nivea Kiss of Flavor Cherry Tinted Lip Care Review and Swatches

Long-time readers will know that I am kind of OCD crazy about lip products. I am always looking for my new HG lipstick/balm/gloss, as I have yet to find the One and Only. There are several products that I have and really like, even love, but I still yearn for that One True Lipstick. I was not really expecting Nivea Kiss of Flavor Cherry to fill that hole in my heart, but I had thought it could join my arsenal of trusty sidekicks, providing moisture and a hint of tint.  Spoiler alert: it's been sitting unused on my bathroom counter since just about the day I got it.
Nivea Kiss of Flavor Cherry Tinted Lip Care
Where to start?  Well, let's go with the good: I got it for $1.25 at Fred Meyer when they had a manufacturer's coupon.  Hard to beat that price.  And...um, that's all the good I've got.
top: Nivea Kiss of Flavor Cherry, bottom: Tokidoki Gelato Lip Balm Stain in Pink Martini; the latter is far, far superior
As a lip tint, it fails, as the color is sheer and applies patchy and uneven, and migrates to the edges of my lips (which is just as unattractive as it sounds). While it looks red in the tube, it applies very pink.
this is applied laughably heavily to try and make the pigmentation as even as possible, and you can see there's still some patchiness; this is immediately post-application, and the unevenness only gets worse with wear

As a lip balm, it's even worse.  It not only doesn't moisturize my lips, but it actually makes them drier after it's gone.  Adding insult to injury is that it doesn't even hang around for 20 minutes, and even while it does, it smells like cherry cough syrup.  Even for $1.25, I feel like I was ripped off.  I've heard pretty good things about their Kiss of Moisture lip balm, but after this experience, I'm very leery of trying any others. As always, this is my personal opinion, and I only speak for my own experience when I say I will definitely never buy again and cannot recommend it.

Overview
$2.99 for 0.17 oz, available at drugstores

Quality: 5
Effectiveness: 1.5 (it does give some color...though not where I want it, and the moisturizingness is just completely absent)
Ease of Use: 5 (as long as you don't count constant reapplication as being effortful)
Senses: 3.5 (why does anyone scent things with cherry??)
Pigmentation: 4
Duration: 1.5
Consistency: 2 (too hard, doesn't feel nice and balmy on, or spread to hug my lips)
Price: 4 (on sale, this would be more like a 5)
Value: 2 (0.17 oz is larger than the usual stick lip balm, at 0.15 oz, but this is such a fail for me that I will never even come close to using it up)
Grade: F


I hate throwing makeup out, but I'm sure that's exactly where this guy will go eventually.  If you want a moisturizing, lightly tinted, lovely lip product, get a Jordana Easyshine instead (or, if you're willing to pay a bit more, a Tokidoki Gelato Lip Balm Stain).  They're a buck cheaper, last longer (though, since they're so glossy, they don't last a long time, exactly), and smell and taste fantastic.

Have you tried any Nivea lip products?  What did you think?  Was your experience more favorable than mine?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...