Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Maybelline Color Tattoo Cream Eyeshadow in Bad to the Bronze Review and Swatches

The new year is a wonderful time to be browsing drugstores, since all the new collections are being released and everything is pretty and new and exciting. This is my first year really paying attention to these things, and let me tell you: there is so much awesomeness. The Finger Paints flakies collection was my first acquisition, but other items on my ZOMG GIMME list are L'Oreal's Infallible Eyeshadow (which I finally got my greedy paws on and will be reviewing shortly!), Maybelline's Dream Bouncy Blushes (even though I don't like cream blushes, these are just so cute!), China Glaze's upcoming magnetic collection (AAAAH AFFORDABLE MAGNETIC POLISHES!!!), and today's topic, Maybelline Color Tattoo cream eyeshadow.
Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze
I've only tried one other cream eyeshadow in my sheltered beauty career, elf Dawn. I like it okay, but the texture isn't ideal (tends to slip and slide around for awhile before it settles down) and the color, while taupe, is kind of...boring. Color Tattoo cream shadows, on the other hand, have been compared to Make Up For Ever Aqua Creams and MAC Paint Pots, and I knew as soon as I saw the press release popping up on other blogs that I had to try them.
Bad to the Bronze
After searching around for swatches, I knew I needed Bad to the Bronze, the only shade out of the 10 that really caught my eye. Don't be misled by the name: this is no brassy bronze, but rather a rich, warm taupe. (Tough as Taupe, on the other hand, looked grey and uneventful.)
Bad to the Bronze swatched heavily (left) and really sheered out (right)

It comes in a clear-bottomed glass jar, which allows you to see the color, and has a screw-off plastic top, and the mouth of the jar is plenty big for a brush or finger. The texture is initially very firm, though not so much that you can't get enough product, and it applies really creamy and easy and dries down within a minute.

Bad to the Bronze applied with brush up to crease, then blended with Urban Decay Verve along/above crease to soften edges

Same as above


When worn alone on my oily eyelids, I found it lasted ~5 hours before I saw any creasing, and ~8 before it was really noticeable and unattractive. Over primer, it makes it to 7 hours fine, but is somewhat creased by hour 10, and performs similarly when worn as a base under shadow. Besides the creasing, though, it wears really well, no fading or migration. I obviously haven't worn it for the 24 hours they claim it can go (because who the heck needs eyeshadow to last that long? 18 hours, maybe, but 24 is crazy), but its wear is sufficient for my needs, especially when worn over primer and/or under powder shadow. If you have less oily skin than I do (and, let's face it, you probably do), I would imagine you could get it to last longer. (Elvira of Pink Sith, who has oily lids like me, had a similar experience with Tough as Taupe, while Christine of Temptalia, who has normal-to-dry skin, got flawless wear, so YMMV.)
Bad to the Bronze applied with brush up to crease, then topped with L'Oreal Bronzed Taupe in outer corner and along lashline and L'Oreal Iced Latte along lid and above crease up to browbone (reviews of those to come)

I do like how quick and easy it is to use; I apply with my ring finger or a firm, flat brush (Loew Cornell Maxine's Mop 3/8"), blend out with a lighter neutral, and voila! Easy, pretty eyes. It makes a great base for neutral eyeshadows (especially taupes!), since it amps up their pigmentation. Most of the other shades are much bolder and more colorful than Bad to the Bronze, and from the swatches I've seen, they are equally pigmented and would make a great cheap fun choice for eyeshadow bases or cream shadows that pop without the price. I do wish they had a nice shimmery pale neutral, though...maybe they'll add one!

Overview
~$7 for 0.14 oz, available at drugstores

Quality: 8.5
Effectiveness: 3 (24 hour wear is hooey)
Ease of Use: 5
Senses: 5
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 3.5
Consistency: 5
Price: 3.75
Value: 4.25
Grade: B


I really like Bad to the Bronze––the color is lovely, the texture is gorgeous, and the price is bearable (especially on sale!), but I don't find it wears anywhere close to 24 hours on me without creasing. In spite of its shortcomings there, though, I am very pleased to have it in my collection, and look forward to the day they add some more neutrals!

Have you tried any of the Color Tattoos? What did you think? What do you think of Bad to the Bronze?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...