Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Quick Review: Hourglass Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Gloss in Child Review and Swatches

I purchased the Sephora lip favorites before Christmas to give as gifts, but I selfishly kept one for myself: the miniature Hourglass lip gloss in Child, a nude. I wanted to see what it was like formula-wise, and I also hoped it would serve as a good nude lippie.

I find the formula to be nice and cushy, a wee bit sticky but not uncomfortably so, and it doesn't tend to bunch up or settle into lines at all. It's moderately opaque; it cancels out most of my natural lip color but still lets some pink through. The "Extreme Sheen High Shine" part of the name is certainly misleading, at least for this particular shade––I find it to be "lightly glossy" at best, similar to Lipstick Queen Cosmos Big Bang. Fortunately, I prefer my glosses to be on the less glossy end of things, so I'm happy with it, but it's something to keep in mind if you're wanting something with a glassy mirror finish, because you won't find it here.

Becca Gisella on the left, Hourglass Child on the right
It lasts about 2 hours on me, but it is very slightly drying. The one day I wore it all day, I found my lips felt tight after a few hours and a couple of reapplications, and I was happy to put lip balm on at the end of the day, but it's not terrible. So, yeah, I like it but don't love it, and part of that is probably due to the shade: nudes just aren't my thing most of the time. It's nice to have on hand, though, as it's more traditionally nude than Becca Gisella (which is a more accurate "nude" for my skin, see above), and it lasts longer.

Overview
$28 for 0.24 oz, available from Sephora

Quality: 8.5
Effectiveness: 3.5 (not the promised high shine, doesn't provide "intense hydration")
Ease of Use: 5
Senses: 4 (slightly sweet smell, not irritatingly so, but a bit drying)
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 4
Consistency: 4.5
Price: 1.25
Value: 3.5 (on the slightly larger end of glosses, and rather long-lasting)
Packaging: +0.5 (I like the design, though it is prone to fingerprints)
Grade: B-

So, I'm glad I have the mini size, but I won't be purchasing the full size when it runs out. I do, however, like the formula, barring the slightly drying nature of it, and Icon is a show-stopper, so never say never...and if I were warm-toned, I would go nuts for Siren!

Have you tried any glosses from this line? What do you think of Child?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...