Sunday, February 3, 2013

Becca Radiant Skin Satin Finish Foundation in Shell Review and Swatches

I procured a sample of this from Sephora when I was in southern California for Christmas, along with a few other foundations to try and find one that fit my requirements. The fact that I now have a full bottle of this should tell you the punchline...

But let's start at the beginning. I have extremely oily, very acne-prone skin that is incredibly fair and neutral veering towards cool. I need a foundation that has medium-buildable coverage, resists oil, is light enough, isn't too pink, and doesn't break me out. I've settled for less-than-stellar color matches in the past, with MAC Matchmaster being too dark (it works okay in the summer, though), and Revlon Colorstay Ivory 110 being too pink, but I finally decided enough was enough, and I wanted something that really worked. Turns out, most foundations are either too dark or too yellow or too sheer or break me out (see a breakdown here). Becca is a bit too dark, but only barely, and it does everything else I need it to, and does it well.

Left to right: MUFE Pink Porcelain 1, Becca Shell, Revlon Ivory 110
Shell is a very light, neutral-yellow medium-buildable foundation that dries down to a matte-lite, very natural finish (satin, in fact!). The texture is quite thick, nearly a cream, but it spreads beautifully and never feels heavy. I find the yellowness is good for canceling out the redness my face has thanks to acne and general fussiness, but it's not so yellow as to look fake, and it's blessedly pale enough so as not to clash with my neck. I like applying it with my Real Techniques Buffing Brush, dotting the foundation on my face first and then using the brush to spread/buff it in. It builds nicely, though I use Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer in Pink Porcelain 1 to conceal any larger blemishes, and with primer and powder lasts all day. It plays well with several different primers; it wears okay without primer, but I find I need reapplication after a few hours if worn that way. (It's worth noting, however, that my skin is insanely oily, so your mileage may vary.) It has no discernible smell (HURRAY!), and comes in a large 1.35 oz squeeze bottle, which will make it easy peasy to use every last drop. Other bonuses: it doesn't break me out, it dries down quickly but not so fast as to make blending difficult, and it plays well with drier patches (though does work best on non-flaky skin).

Becca on face, various other things in a FOTD soon to come!

Downsides? I wish it were a smidge lighter, but I think come summer it will be perfect, and it's significantly lighter than MAC Matchmaster 1, which is nice. It's also expensive ($42), and I don't like it applied with fingers, as I find it smears and looks uneven, but overall, the pros much outweigh the cons, and I shall wear it gladly and rebuy when I run out, assuming no new players enter the market.

Overview
$42 for 1.35 oz, available from Sephora and Becca

Quality: 9.25
Effectiveness: 4.75
Ease of Use: 4.5
Senses: 5
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 5
Consistency: 5
Price: 1.5
Value: 4.25
Packaging: +.5
Grade: A-/B+ (if only it weren't so stinking expensive!)

Have you tried Radiant Skin foundation? What's your current foundation of choice?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...