Wednesday, February 27, 2013

MAC Fever Blush Review and Swatches

A while back, I posted a bunch of bright blushes that had caught my eye. In the comments, Toya recommended MAC Fever as another option, and after seeing Rae's review, I was sold. Imagine my delight when it appeared on Beyond the Rack, where I had a $10 credit (I have no idea how that happened, but awesome) which covered shipping, so I ended up snagging it for 20% off. Hooray!
funky white balance is funky, but the blush color is correct

Fever is a rich, dark burgundy red; it looks warm in the pan, but it swatches cooler on me.
One swipe heavily (left) and blended out (right)
It's intensely pigmented––I very, very lightly tap my Real Techniques blush brush on the surface and lightly brush it on my face, and that usually suffices for a cheek, but I imagine it would be easier (though equally awesome) on darker skin. It's a very natural look, when applied lightly enough, since it mimics actual blood in the cheeks (blushing sounds gross when put in those terms). It's pretty firm in texture, which I appreciate, since anything so pigmented would be disastrous with a powdery texture, but it applies nicely and blends out relatively easily. It also lasts all day over my usual primer-foundation-powder combo. I like wearing it with red lips, naturally, but it looks nice with berry and plum, too. Applied lightly, it also works with nudes like Becca Gisella, shown below. Very much a Snow White effect! (I'm also wearing it here, though you can't see my cheeks all that well.)
I do not care that the wind is making my hair weird, because it is partly sunny! (For about 3 seconds before it went back to raining.)

So, while I'm still on the hunt for a cream blush (it's a very lackadaisical hunt; I'm pretty much just waiting for something to stumble into my collection), I've got the rich red under control.

Overview
$20 for 0.21 oz, available from MAC

Quality: 9
Effectiveness: 5
Ease of Use: 3.5 (must be applied with care on my ghostly skin)
Senses: 5
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 5
Consistency: 4.5 (I like the firmness, though I wish it were a smidge more blendable)
Price: 2.25
Value: 5 (I doubt I will ever run out, even if I were to wear it every day for the rest of my life––the surface still looks pristine after several wearings)
Grade: B+/A-

What do you think of Fever? Do you have a favorite red blush?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...