Monday, October 1, 2012

Lipstick Queen Big Bang Illusion Lip Gloss in Cosmos Review and Swatches

Every time I visit New York, I try to buy something pretty that I can't easily find elsewhere. This trip, that ended up being Lipstick Queen's Big Bang Illusion lip gloss in Cosmos. The irony of me, lip gloss hater extraordinaire, buying a lipgloss from the lipstick queen, is not lost on me, but guys, this is a lip gloss unlike any others I've tried.
preeeetty
Let's start with the color, which is what drew me to the gloss in the first place. This is exactly my kind of shade, a medium cool red-wine.
It's not too dark or opaque, but still offers plenty of coverage, and it has the most beautiful pink sheen. It's somewhat similar to Le Métier Fraise Crème, though that is much more opaque and has gold shimmer rather than the cool pink that Cosmos has, so the end effect is quite different. The Big Bang Illusion glosses are designed to make lips look plumper without actually plumping them, using the "exact ratio of shine to shimmer to create the illusion of fuller lips". My lips are already quite plump, but I will say Cosmos makes them look nice and full. I particularly like that the sheen isn't shimmery or glittery, but rather extremely fine and delicate, and it doesn't migrate in the least.
after eating! which looks the same as before eating!
ditto!

The texture is unlike anything else I've tried; it comes closest to the YSL Glossy Stains, but without the slight tackiness/gumminess those have. It's completely and utterly non-sticky, and feels somewhat velvety and squishy––it's like a non-sticky, perfectly smooth, dry gel (though I know that makes no sense), almost like a silicone-based product, though there's no 'cones in it (lots of polymers, though). It's nicely moisturizing, doesn't slip and slide around my lips and is a gloss I can wear without feeling like I need to squish it around all the time. It also wears a really long time––I can get a good 2-3 hours of color and shine, which is ridiculous for a lip gloss, and my lips feel very comfortable after it's worn off. The one thing to note is that it applies best over completely bare lips; any balm or remnants of gloss make it want to streak a bit, so I just make sure to wipe off my mouth with a napkin before reapplying.

The tube is very sleek and looks like a test tube––it's also apparently made out of glass, as Getting Cheeky's Jessica discovered upon dropping hers, so I will have to be extra careful with it! The applicator is a small doefoot, which I find really nice for applying the gloss precisely and evenly. One of the best parts is how much product you get––a full 0.37 oz (most glosses are in the 0.12-0.25 range!).


I have no idea what else I'm wearing here, but the lips are Cosmos!

Obviously, I'm smitten. It's a lip gloss hater's lip gloss, which shouldn't be surprising coming from the queen of lipsticks––if anyone should know how to make a lip gloss that's non-sticky, non-gloppy, and applies evenly, it's someone who prefers lipsticks! The color is perfection (it's sated my desire for a dark gloss, so I can pass on Revlon Bordeaux, as gorgeous as that is), the texture is divine, the wear is incredible, and the packaging unique and luxurious. What's not to love?! (Okay, perhaps the price, though I remarked after buying it that it was "surprisingly cheap", to which L gave me an incredulous look. I've apparently gotten used to high-end prices, ugh. Still tagging this as "splurge"!)

Overview
$20 for 0.37 oz, available from Barneys, Lipstick Queen, Space NK, and Beauty.com

Quality: 9.5
Effectiveness: 4.5
Ease of Use: 4.5
Senses: 5 (unscented and unflavored, not to mention non-sticky!)
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 4.5
Consistency: 5
Price: 2
Value: 5
Packaging: +0.25
Grade: A-

Ingredients: 
Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Butylene/Ethylene/Styrene Copolymer, Ethylene/Propylene/Styrene Copolymer, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Mica (CI 77019), Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 Lake (CI 73361), Red 33 Lake (CI 17200)
Have you tried anything from Lipstick Queen? What's your favorite lip gloss formula?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...