Monday, February 18, 2013

Quick Review: Becca Beach Tint in Raspberry Review and Swatches

I made myself a little sample of Becca's cult favorite Beach Tint in Raspberry when I was in California because I thought it would be a nice way to a) experience the hype, b) add a non-powder blush to my life, and c) try something purpley and vibrant!
Becca Raspberry Beach Tint, via Sephora

Raspberry is a thick gel designed to be worn sheerly or built up on lips and cheeks. I've heard that the texture of the Beach Tints isn't consistent across all the shades, so I'm not sure it's true for other shades, but Raspberry is really nice and spreadable, and the firmness of the gel makes it easy to only get a little bit on my fingers, which is great because wowzers is it pigmented. I need literally a drop for both cheeks, and that results in a pretty vibrant look.

A quick pre-school blurry shot; Raspberry on lips and cheeks, Tarina Tarantino Fantastical on eyes

It didn't last all day on me, but it went a good 6 hours before I noticed fading (over primer and foundation), and I could still see some after another 2 hours, at which point I washed it off. I think I prefer powder blushes, just because using my finger to apply the gel turns my cheeks really red, so it's a bit hard to see just how much I've overdone it, but it did result in a really lovely natural flush. I've also worn it on my lips, and I find it works really well that way, too; usually lip stains disappear from the inside of my lips within a couple minutes, leaving me with an unpleasant ring-around-the-mouth, but I don't have that problem with this at all. It can be worn at one layer for a sheer tint, but it can also be built up to something a little darker, though nowhere near as pigmented as it looks in the tube.

Built up (left) and sheered out (right)

I feel like it looks brighter on my cheeks than on my lips, but that may just be because I'm used to seeing bright lips on me, but bright cheeks are a departure. It isn't drying, per se, but it's definitely not moisturizing; I like applying a few layers, letting it soak in for 15 minutes, then topping with lip balm (I carry around a tube of Fresh Sugar, which works great because it's not too heavy). The lip balm makes it a little sticky, because it seems to reactivate the texture of the gel (it happened when I topped it with Purple Haze, too, weirdly), but it's not annoying, and it lasts several hours (I can get 3-4) before fading.

Other things to note: it smells like sweet berries (not particularly raspberries), but it's pleasant and I tend to loathe anything berry-scented, and it fades quickly. And now I want a tube. Though I'm hoping that maybe the Rouge d'Armani Sheer 602 will give my lips a similar effect with less hassle/finger involvement. Though the Becca is cheaper...decisions, decisions.

Overview
$25 for 0.24 oz, available from Sephora and Becca

Quality: 8.75
Effectiveness: 5
Ease of Use: 4.5
Senses: 4.5 (as long as you don't mind scented products, and are willing to top with lip balm)
Pigmentation: 5 (sheer but buildable, as advertised)
Duration: 4 (lasts well on my lips, but not quite as long as powder blush on my cheeks)
Consistency: 4.5 (very blendable, but a wee bit sticky when combined with balm)
Price: 1.75
Value: 5 (a tube would last approximately forever)
Grade: B+

Have you tried any of the Beach Tints? What did you think?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...