Monday, May 7, 2012

Guerlain Rouge Automatique Lipstick in Chamade Review and Swatches

I've wanted to try the Rouge Automatique line since Temptalia reviewed Champs-Elysees and showed that it lasted through an Italian meal and said it was moisturizing to boot. Guerlain's Rouge G line of lipsticks is widely regarded as one of the best lipstick formulas there is (and is Temptalia's favorite), and Rouge Automatique is apparently nearly as good for $11 less. Unfortunately, that still means it's $35, so I knew I needed a good excuse to buy one. Guet-Apens was my long-time lemming, but I ended up deciding on Chamade since I figured I didn't have anything else like it, whereas I do have other darker lippies. Temptalia's review, which said Guet-Apens was lacking in the formula department, just confirmed my choice.
Guerlain Chamade Rouge Automatique
Swatches online showed Chamade to be a bright, warm pink cream. On me, it is a bright, warm tangerine-pink.
Arm swatch
What with tangerine being the "color of the year" as decided by Pantone (what gives them the authority to declare these things, anyways?), I'd been wanting something tangerine-y but not too tangerine, since I'm cool toned and pale and hate orange. Chamade turns out to be the perfect middle ground. Since I'm neutral-cool, I find it works best when I wear it with warmer clothing and makeup, coral and turquoise and cream, but it's certainly not too warm to wear. I think it may be less orange on other people, but if you're also pale, cool toned, and fear orange makeup, Chamade may be perfect for you as well.

The texture is extremely creamy, which is less than ideal for me (of "obsessive lip smooshing" fame), so it took me a little bit to figure out how to get it to work for me without sliding around.
2-3 layers applied, no blotting, in flash light inside (not quite this vibrant in real life); you can see (or at least I can) that it is a bit heavier around the edges than the inside of my lips
I've found that applying one thin layer from the tube to my lips and then smoothing it on with my finger works best for preventing excess product from slipping and building up anywhere.
One layer applied and blended with finger, in sunlight (color accurate)
Applying a second layer and repeating the process gives deeper, brighter color with some glossiness without sacrificing wear.
Additional layer applied and (lightly) blended with finger, in sunlight
Since I effectively blot it, it's generally not as shiny as other swatches show, but it's certainly not matte, either, and doing two coats makes it quite glossy. It melds with my lips really well so it looks like a lovely stain, without any of the drying effects! I also wore it in my FOTD.

It lasts 2-3 hours on me, less if I eat, so it's not really long-lasting but it's definitely one of the longer-lasting lippies in my collection. It's also really moisturizing; I don't need lip balm at all while wearing it or for an hour or so after it's worn off.

Lastly, the packaging. It's a sliding tube that you can open one-handed, and it's super fun. It takes quite a bit of pressure to get the slider started, so you don't have to worry about it accidentally being pushed down by something else in your purse. It's also quite light; I didn't think I would notice, but I do wish it were a little heftier, since heft = high-end (generally), but it's not flimsy or anything. Between the Rouge Automatique and Rouge d'Armani formulas, I think I prefer the latter just because it's less creamy and works better with my tendencies, but it's not like I'm disappointed by Chamade! I will wear it a lot this summer, since it just screams sunshine and brightness and happiness and will look great with a "tan" (translated to my terms, "less translucency").

Oh wait, one more thing, actually lastly: the scent. It's supposedly violet, but it smells like "lipstick" to me. Less plasticky than drugstore lipsticks, but I'd still rather have no scent. Fortunately, it fades very quickly (within a minute, I can't smell it anymore), and it has no taste.

Overview
$35 for 0.12 oz, available from Sephora, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, and Bergdorf Goodman

Quality: 9.5
Effectiveness: 4.75 (not as long-lasting as it claims)
Ease of Use: 4.75 (I have to blot to get best performance)
Senses: 4.75 (scent isn't great, for my personal tastes)
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 4.5
Consistency: 4.5 (delightfully creamy, but a bit overly so for me)
Price: 0.5 (I got it during Sephora's 15% off Chic Week sale, so for what I paid, I would give it a 1; I'm saving 0 for if I ever buy a $40+ lipstick)
Value: 4
Packaging: +0.5
Grade: B


Have you tried any of the Rouge Automatiques? What did you think?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...