Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Deborah Lippmann Mermaid's Dream Nail Polish Review and Swatches

I finally got around to actually wearing this beauty on my fingers! Yay! (You can see my earlier non-review here.)
Deborah Lippmann Mermaid's Dream

Since I'm lazy, here's my earlier description of the polish: So, Mermaid's Dream is a crazy-beautiful combination of seafoam green (my favorite color!) metallic/frosty/shimmer base (which, I've now noticed, is duochrome! Holy cow, this polish does it all! It shifts from a green to a cool light blue, not terribly dramatic but definitely there), gold glitter, and dark blue hex glitter. It is really, truly, jaw-droppingly gorgeous.
2 coats, pardon the cuticles
macro!
I only did 2 coats, and while there were some bald spots, they weren't noticeable unless I was looking closely, and I doubt anyone else could tell. I did 3 coats of top coat (2 Seche, 1 SH Insta-Dry), and it was still bumpy, so I ended up just embracing the texture. It looked (and felt!) like fish scales, which was pretty appropriate. I couldn't stop admiring my nails, because they were just so glittery and sparkly and seafoam greeny! All of my favorite things! 
The formula was also really, really great; it spread across my nails without any problem, and it dried pretty quickly. If the texture bothers you, just do more top coat, but I actually found it added to the experience. It wasn't, like, gritty or anything, just...textured. It basically looked and felt like mermaid scales, at least in my head. I had no problems with wear, though I only wore it for a couple of days (because I was playing with doing galaxy nail rings and got other polish on my fingers, sigh). All in all, a truly standout polish, and well worth the price tag for me. It's limited edition, so get it while you can! 


Overview
$18 for 0.50 oz, available from Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom

Color: 10 (seriously, this polish is amazeballs)
Formula: 9.5
Pigmentation & Finish: 4 (it is bumpy, even with multiple layers of top coat, so if that bothers you, it's something to keep in mind!)
Brush & Bottle: 4.75 (The brush is great and I love how big and elegant the bottle is, but that same heft also makes it take up more storage space)
Price/Value: 3
Grade: A-/B+ (technically the latter, but I love the color SO MUCH)




What do you think of Mermaid's Dream? What would your perfect polish look like?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...