Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!

My mother is in her early 50s and is as pale as me, but as a natural redhead, on the opposite end of the temperature spectrum. She's received a number of beauty products that were too warm for me, as they flatter her immensely (she is the epitome of an "Autumn").
Us on vacation in Florida during my senior spring break, my mother's graduation present to me!

She double majored in home ec and business at Linfield College, where she first got the nickname 'Home-Eccy Beckie', and has worked in catering, retail, management, accounting, and children's services, as well as being very involved with the Relief Nursery and school fundraising when I was younger. Currently she is in the process of launching her own local foods/snacks business, serving the University of Oregon and other local businesses, in spite of suffering from severe Rheumatoid Arthritis and other chronic health problems. I can honestly say that if not for her unending love and support, I would not be here today. She taught me that it's okay to panic sometimes, to feel the press of anxiety and the darkness of depression, and the important part is to recognize that it will get better and to not let the fear rule my life. She was, and still is, incredibly understanding of my illness, and I know that she will always have my best interest at heart––even when that means going against what I want (this has become less frequent as I've gotten older, and learned that she is, in fact, usually right). She's always said she's my parent first and friend second, and I feel lucky that there's rarely a need to make a distinction between the two.
Enjoying the pool in Florida

I am constantly astounded by her strength, her bravery, her tenacity, in the face of hurdle after hurdle, and I cannot possibly express how much I admire and aspire to be like her. I can only hope that someday I am half as good a mother as she has been. Mommy, I love you, and I am so grateful for everything you have done for me!
Showing off her lovely manicure ;-)

In honor of my mother's love of flowers and food, here are some pictures I snapped with my phone from the past few weeks. I hope you all have a nice Mother's Day, and to all the mothers out there, thank you!
Homemade (mother-made, actually!) banana pancakes with nutella, banana, and syrup––so decadently delicious!

Making elephant ears (I've also heard to it referred as "fried bread")

The final product: Half butter and cinnamon sugar, half maple frosting. So wonderful

Violas on campus! 

Tiramisu at The Granary

Summer cocktail (various citrus fruits and citrus vodka with mint) in the garden :-)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...