Monday, April 16, 2012

Too Faced Shadow Insurance Eyeshadow Primer Review and Swatches

Oy oy oy, I should have written this post a couple months ago but hey, better late than never? TFSI is really popular in the blogosphere as an eyeshadow primer, and when Too Faced had a 20% sale for Valentine's Day I decided it was time to pick it up.

It's a "nude" thin cream-liquid that completely disappears once applied. It spreads really easily and you only need a tiny bit! It emboldens eyeshadow colors and helps keep them from creasing or fading over the day.

Left: Le Métier de Beauté Corinthian on bare skin, right: over TFSI

It doesn't make my shadow completely intact; after 8 hours, I can see some slight creasing, but it's not particularly noticeable and it doesn't get worse after that. If your lids are less oily than mine, you may have even better luck.

Wet N Wild Comfort Zone palette (green side) with Urban Decay Mildew eyeliner, after 10 hours

Comparison picture (not from the same day) to show my natural level of lid creasing, here immediately after application. You can see it doesn't get much worse over the day!

I've tried TFSI under cream shadow as well as powder, and it helps keep both from fading or creasing, though it doesn't work quite as well for cream as powder (but cream shadows tend to crease on me within a couple of hours, so it's still a big improvement!). I tried Urban Decay Primer Potion when I was in New York and it kept my shadow completely pristine, but I only got to wear it one day so I can't say for sure how it compares to TFSI under all circumstances. TFSI definitely works better than the ELF primer, and I'm very glad to have it in my arsenal! Plus, the tube will last me forever, which helps make the price a bit easier to stomach (though I do recommend getting it on sale if you can!).

Overview
$18 for ??? oz, available from Sephora, Too Faced, and Ulta

Quality: 8.75
Effectiveness: 4.5 (does not remain crease free all day)
Ease of Use: 5
Senses: 5
Pigmentation: 5 (none, just as it should be)
Duration: 4
Consistency: 4.75
Price: 2.5
Value: 4.5
Grade: B+

Have you tried TFSI? What did you think? What's your go-to primer?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...