Monday, April 9, 2012

Armani Rouge d'Armani in Plum 600 Review and Swatches

I'm sorry I haven't been posting much lately! I joined okcupid last weekend, and have had a terrible time keeping up with that and school starting, much less blogging! It's been fun, though :-) I'll try to catch up on blog stuff this week. Today, I bring you a beautiful lipstick.
The actual color is between these two pictures
I'd heard nothing but thorough praise for the Rouge d'Armani lipstick formula, and I knew it was one thing I wanted to pick up in New York, since we don't have an Armani counter anywhere nearby here. I told the SA I wanted a plum/berry that wasn't too dark, and she swatched this on the back of my hand. I was afraid it would be too bright, and even applied full-on (as it is in the pictures below), it retains some translucence that keeps it from being too heavy or bold.

It's a bright pink-plum with no shimmer. It applies really well, creamy but not slippery, and the finish is initially glossy, but after about half an hour it wears down to a "natural" finish (not matte, not shiny, and very slightly tacky––nothing like gloss, but I can feel that there's product on my lips). I find I get 4-5 hours of solid color from it if I don't eat, less if I put balm or a gloss on, but I don't find myself needing anything else on my lips while I wear it, and if blotted the stain lasts for another couple hours. It's even moisturizing! My lips feel fine after wearing it for several hours. You can also pat it on over balm for a sheerer look, which makes it more wearable for those who are frightened of brighter colors.

Slightly different lighting; it's more or less bright
depending on the light
It is, in a word, lovely. It's bright and springy, versatile, wears for hours, creamy but it doesn't migrate, and the tube is awesomely classy and fun (magnetic closure!). There's no smell or taste, for those who are sensitive to such things, and have I mentioned how creamy? Usually, I hear "creamy" and I think "oh noes, it's going to spread unevenly when I smoosh my lips together which I do compulsively," but this doesn't do that at all. Not one bit! I can smoosh to my heart's content and my lipstick is no worse for it, while still being easy to apply and comfortable to wear.
And here I am wearing it (a couple of hours after application)
at Ample Hills Creamery in Brooklyn, about to consume
their Salted Caramel Crack Ice Cream. This is one of my
OKCupid profile pictures, because it so perfectly
captures my usual self around food! Plus, as N said,
my lipstick is rockin'.
And now I want more colors. Boo.

Overview
$30 for 0.14 oz, available from Armani, Nordstrom, and other high-end department stores

Quality: 10
Effectiveness: 5
Ease of Use: 5
Senses: 5
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 5 (they say "up to 8 hours" of wear, and while I don't get that, it does hang around for several hours, which is about 3x as long as most lipsticks do on me! Le Métier de Beauté Fraise Crème lip crème is the only other product I have that comes close, and that's only ~3 hours)
Consistency: 5
Price: 1
Value: 4.5 (0.14 oz is on the larger end of lipsticks, and since it wears for such a long time, you don't have to reapply often!)
Packaging: +0.5
Grade: A-


Yes, it's painfully expensive. But man, what a way to go!

Have you tried any Rouge d'Armanis? What did you think? Which colors are your favorite?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...