Friday, August 17, 2012

Tarina Tarantino Jewel Eyeshadow Palette in Fantastical Review and Swatches

Another birthday purchase! I bought this one after much research and consultation with other beauty nerds, and I must thank Larie for suggesting Tarina Tarantino to me (not to mention encouraging me to wear color!). Purple is a color that I feel comfortable wearing on my eyes, unlike, say, lime green, and I thought it would be a nice way to dip my toes into non-neutral shadows. Read on for more thoughts!

–The middle shade is a warm ivory-gold shimmer. It really comes alive in the sunlight, just insanely rainbowy and gorgeous. It's surprisingly opaque, to the point that it significantly tones down other colors if blended on top. It's very, very soft, to the point of being almost problematic––just barely tapping my brush against the surface loosens quite a bit of shadow, significantly more than I actually need, but it has no problems during application.
–The right shade is a light shimmery tan. It's less opaque than the middle shade and slightly darker, and when worn together, they make for a very, very subtly natural eye. It tends not to tone down other eyeshadows as much as the middle shade does, so it's a nice choice for blending.
–The top shade is a gorgeous purple-taupe. Y'all know how much I love my taupe, and this is a great example of a cool purpley version. It's more purple, less brown/grey than Le Métier de Beauté Corinthian, which does translate to the lid, but they're close cousins. The texture on this one is great, very smooth and creamy and pigmented. Top-notch.
–The right shade is a pinky-lavender with blue sheen. It's not as pigmented as the other shades, being more in line with the rightmost tan shade, but it's plenty pigmented to show up and can be built up quite easily. The texture is nice and non-powdery.
–The bottom shade is a warm dark purple shimmer. The texture of this is slightly firmer and it doesn't have any of the powder loosening that the middle shade does, which makes it a nice crease shade for those of us scared of dark shades, since it can be applied lightly and built up.
From left to right: middle, right, top, left, and bottom shades (would be
easier if the shades had names, eh?)
The colors work really well together; while I've never managed to fit all 5 into one look, I'm sure it's possible, and there are a number of combinations that look lovely:


Subtle purples: Middle shade all over, left shade on the lid, bottom shade in the crease


Neutrals: Middle shade above crease, right below crease/on lid, top blended in crease


The tans make it nice and versatile, as does the fact that the darkest shade isn't overwhelming but can be built up to a nice dramatic purple. On my oily oily oily lids, there is some creasing and fading after 6 hours, but over primer it lasts 10+ (which is as long as I can get any eyeshadow to last on me). If you're looking for a purple palette, I highly recommend this one. It's cute, the packaging is great (pretty top, big mirror!), it's small enough to travel with easily, and the shades are nicely diverse and versatile. Extremely pleased with my purchase! Now I just wish she made a blue one...

Overview
$32 for 0.32 oz, available from Sephora

Quality: 9.25
Effectiveness: 5
Ease of Use: 4.75
Senses: 5
Pigmentation: 4.75
Duration: 4.75
Consistency: 4.75
Price: 2
Value: 5
Packaging: +0.5
Grade: A-

Have you tried any of the Tarina Tarantino palettes? What do you think of Fantastical?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...