Monday, July 9, 2012

NYX Blush in Taupe Review and Swatches

I wrote awhile back about how I was wanting to enter the world of contouring, and Makeup Morsels suggested NYX Taupe as a good choice for pale complected folk like myself. As a bonus, it was a mere $6.25 on eBay, including shipping, so even if it hadn't worked out, it wouldn't have been too much of a problem. Fortunately, it works great!
NYX Taupe
Taupe is, well, taupe. A cool brown-based taupe, to be more precise. It's mostly matte, but in my macro shots I can detect slight luminescence; when worn, it's very natural looking.
Blended (top) and applied heavily (bottom)
I tap my Sonia Kashuk Contour Brush and swipe it under my cheekbones and blend as needed. I find it works best if my foundation is dry, not still dewy, as that gives me greater flexibility with degree of pigmentation (and placement of product!). I've applied it under and over my finishing powder, and it seems to work equally well both ways. It's become another step in my daily face routine, and the cheekbone definition it creates is well worth the 15 seconds it adds. If you're fair to light-medium and find most bronzers/contour products to be too brown, orange, or warm, NYX Taupe is well worth checking out! Stay tuned for a FOTD later this week :-)

Overview
~$6 for 0.18 oz, available from NYX, Cherry Culture, eBay, and other online retailers

Quality: 8.5
Effectiveness: 5
Ease of Use: 4.5
Senses: 5
Pigmentation: 5 (buildable)
Duration: 4.75 (lasts most of the day, 8+ hours)
Consistency: 4.5 (can be a bit powdery)
Price: 4.5
Value: 4.5 (on the smaller side for blush, but it's so cheap!)
Grade: A-


What do you use to contour?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...