Monday, June 6, 2011

Eyeliner

I often wear eyeshadow as eyeliner, applying with either my smudge brush or, for more precision, my bent eyeliner brush.  Recently, though, I purchased a few eyeliner pencils (therapeutic shopping, and yes, it helped!), which I'm going to talk about today.

I'd long heard great things about Urban Decay's 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils, but the $18 price tag put me off.  I used my up-coming graduation as an excuse to buy one on eBay, and some personal problems to buy another a couple weeks after.  Karla of KarlaSugar wrote a post about Prestige Waterproof eyeliners, and when I was in D.C. and happened to go into a CVS, I decided to pick one of those up, too.  Since I'm reviewing 3 products in one post, I won't do a full grading schema for each, but if you have any questions regarding the grade I gave them, feel free to ask!
In cloudy natural light; L-R Prestige Waterproof Eyeliner in Charcoal Brown, Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Mildew, Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Crash

Indoors with flash, same order
The Prestige is a dark, semi-shimmer (by which I mean, not matte, but not sparkly, either) brown.  The first couple times I wore it were at school, when I was sweating and hot and miserable, and I found it migrated under my eyes a little over the course of the day.  I haven't had that problem here at home, and those who aren't as oily/sweaty as me may not have that as a problem even in humid environments.  It glides on wonderfully, doesn't tug, and lasts until I remove it at night.  Grade: A-

UD Mildew, despite the very unappetizing name, is a gorgeous color and sets off my green/blue eyes beautifully.  A picture below of it on my green (right) eye:
UD Mildew on upper lashes, no mascara
You can see that there's a little shimmer to it, and that, in the course of drawing it on my top lash line, some of it got on my lower lashes as well--an effect I like quite a lot!  Like the Prestige, UD glides on nicely and lasts all day.  It's more shimmery than the Prestige, which adds some nice dimension, but not as sparkly as the other UD, Crash. Grade: A-

Crash is a sparkly dark purple.  When I say sparkly, I mean big pieces of sparkle.  This isn't a problem when I put it on, or throughout the course of the day, but it can prove to be extremely annoying when I'm trying to remove it and getting sparkly bits all over my face.  Like the others, though, it wears all day and looks lovely doing so. Grade: B

While I do really like the UD eyeliners, I don't think I can justify the expense ($8.50 is the cheapest that can be found on eBay, and many colors are much more than that) too often, even though the color selection is huge and full of gorgeous, unique shades.  I've also heard great things about the Prestige Total Intensity eyeliners, so once Rite-Aid has a discount on them, I'll definitely be picking a couple of colors up (black, at the very least, since I feel I really should have a black eyeliner!).

What about you?  Have you tried any of these?  What are your favorite eyeliners?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...