Monday, September 24, 2012

Maybelline Color Tattoo in Barely Beige Review and Swatches

Part of Maybelline's LE Fashion Week collection were a few new shades of Color Tattoo cream eyeshadows, including a shimmery champagne. I don't find myself wearing the other Color Tattoo I have (Bad to the Bronze) all that often because it's a little dark and really only works if I wear it as a base to a smoky taupe eye, but I bought Barely Beige in the hopes that it could be a good eyeshadow base/quick and easy nude eye.
Maybelline Barely Beige Color Tattoo
The texture of Barely Beige seems a little different from Bad to the Bronze, creamier and also thinner, so it's really easy to pick up product and it spreads nicely. I use my finger to apply, and find a firm brush to give uneven, streaky results (perhaps due to the different formula). It can be worn as a sheer wash, which is what I usually do, or built up to a high-shine beige finish. Worn alone, it does crease on me after a few hours, but worn as a base it lasts all day without issue, intensifying the colors of my shadow and helping them last longer.
Swatched heavily (top) and sheered out (bottom); I chose the slightly blurry picture to show the shimmers better

I like it, and if you're looking for a nice neutral cream eyeshadow to be used as a base, it's a good option. Some people can get full day wear from the Color Tattoos without creasing, but I am not one of those, so I find its uses to be somewhat more constrained because of that, but I'm glad to have it in my collection nonetheless. If you happen to come across it in stores, I suggest picking it up right quick, as it is LE and will undoubtedly sell out quickly (and may already be gone in your area, I'm sorry!).

Overview
~$7 for 0.14 oz, available from drugstores

Quality: 8.5
Effectiveness: 2.5 (does not last all day on its own on me)
Ease of Use: 5
Senses: 5 (doesn't cause any irritation to my eyes)
Pigmentation: 5
Duration: 3.75 (5 when worn as a base)
Consistency: 5
Price: 3.75
Value: 4.5
Grade: B

Worn as a shadow base, it's an A- product, but that's not what it's advertised as. It is, however, what I purchased it for, so I'm pretty pleased!

Have you tried any of the Color Tattoos? Do you find they crease on you? Which colors are your favorite?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...