Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Bloglove: Luxury Edition

It's been forever since I've rec'ed any blogs, and for that I apologize!  There are many, many high-end/luxury beauty blogs out there, but today I want to draw attention to three of the most prolific and popular.  I'm defining "luxury beauty blog" as being one that features exclusively high-end products, with a focus on brands like Le Métier de Beauté, Chantecaille, Chanel, Dior, Burberry, Guerlain, etc.  As in: brands that I will never be able to afford.  That doesn't stop me from drooling over the products, though!

Café Makeup is written by another Amy, and the products are modeled by Liz.  The pictures are phenomenal, and she often compares the products she's reviewing to other products in her collection.  Amy wrote a few months ago that she would be closing the blog down, but fortunately the blogging bug wasn't cured, so she's still posting, though somewhat less frequently.  Here's the recent post on the new Le Métier de Beauté Lip Cremes for this fall; doesn't it make you just die?

The Beauty Look Book, written by Lina, is a wealth of information on luxe brands.  She also takes gorgeous pictures, and usually does comparison swatches of the product she's reviewing next to other similar products in her collection.  She's not afraid to say when she feels a product falls short, and reviews mostly neutral-oriented products.  Here's a post on shimmery browns for fall, with beautiful swatches: yum.

Messy Wands, by Xiao, is one of the newer beauty blogs, and it is simply awesome.  She has product reviews with amazing swatches and pictures and incredibly helpful tutorials with, again, amazing pictures.  She's funny and smart and writes beautifully, and she always responds quickly and helpfully to comments (which I know because I have commented on her blog, because her posts are just so wonderful that I can't not!).  She's to blame for my wanting LMdB Lip Cremes (all of them, and for $36 a pop, even one is out of my price range, goldarnit; see here for her post on mixing them to create new shades, and then go and read all of the other LMdB Lip Creme posts!) and makes me wish I knew her in person so we could be best friends and she could teach me how to be beautiful.  Okay, yes, I have a beauty crush on her.  Once you read her blog, you'll see why!

Amy and Liz are both fair/light-skinned, while Lina and Xiao are Asian and somewhat darker, so you can compare swatches between them all to see how a product looks on different skintones.  And proceed to weep at how you're a grad student with loans and cannot justify a $47 lipstick...or maybe that's just me.  Regardless, the blogs are fantastic, and I cannot recommend them highly enough.

What are your favorite luxury beauty blogs?  Have you read any of the ones above?  Do share!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...