Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sunday Summary

First off, I want to thank everyone for your kind comments on my most recent post. I really, really appreciate them, even if I'm putting off replying to them because I don't know how to express my gratitude (also, social anxiety). I'm still feeling a little blue, and more than a little overwhelmed, but I'm trying to just keep myself in the relative present. Here are some things that have helped:

Tea! I ordered a bunch of loose tea samples from Adagio, since there's not really anyplace in Eugene that sells a wide variety, and have slowly been sipping my way through them. I'm drinking the Spiced Maté right now (also pictured to the right), but I've also really enjoyed the Rooibos Lemon Cloud, Rooibos Earl Grey, Rooibos Chai (I like rooibos tea, clearly!), and black Earl Grey Lavender. I've placed another order with some more flavors, particularly more black teas because I've realized that tea provides some much-needed caffeine on early mornings and upsets my stomach much less than does coffee. I really like the Adagio website––it's sensibly organized, has pretty visuals, provides lots of information, and the tea is so affordable! Sample bags are $2 for enough tea to make 10 cups, and even with my 12 oz tea mug that's still nearly 7 cups' worth. Relatedly, I am also enjoying lactose-free milk. Thanks, world.

Slippers! Because cozy feet are never a bad thing.

Duochrome! I ordered Nubar Iris Dust because my mother wanted a polish that looked like changing leaves, and this one does that admirably, shifting from purple to red to orange to yellow to green, and often showing more than one color at a time (a true multichrome!). It's really sheer––I needed 4 coats, and even that's not quite opaque––but it's so awesome that I don't even really mind. Now I want others from the line! (Check out Scrangie's swatches for on-the-nail awesomeness.)

Presents planning! Nothing quite like browsing Sephora, Neiman, and Nordstrom for Christmas presents. I'm loving all the holiday sets, but am trying to be logical and rational about it and not buy everything just because it's a good deal! I have a list of people I know I'll be wanting to gift, an idea of what they might like, and of course am keeping an eye out for what little goodies I can keep for myself. It's been very enjoyable.

Perfume! As always, perfume. I placed another Aedes order (as long as I don't buy anything else this month, I'm $3 under budget!!) for oriental and woody perfumes, because with the arrival of winter, I know I'll be wanting as many to choose from as possible. I've also reorganized my samples collection by note/feel, which is a nice feeling, though I'm sure I'll have to do it again in a few months! I've been reaching for my ambers (Chanel Coromandel, Prada L'Eau Ambree), woods (Sonoma Scent Forest Walk, Amouage Memoir Woman, Serge Lutens Cedre), and rich gourmand orientals (Arquiste Anima Dulcis, Solstice Scents Manor), and every night I've slathered on Pacifica Island Vanilla body butter, which is just so delightful and is still there when I wake up in the morning.

I've also been reading lots of blogs, though commenting on very few, because again, social interaction is stressful. Even when it's via the internet. With people I like. (Why I feel okay writing posts is a matter for another time.)

Messy Wands swatched her entire LMdB Lip Crème collection, and you guys, I want. Craving In the Know Bordeaux and Fraise Creme, because you can never have enough reds.

Eye Heart It reviewed Crest Whitestrips. I found I was entirely too unreliable to use them even close to every day, and I loathed not being able to talk or drink normally while wearing them, but I did see some whitening, so...I'm kind of tempted to try them again. Plus, Costco apparently carries it! I love Costco!

Beauty Reductionista did a wonderful Fall post. Hurray for vampy polishes, warm scarves (I have no less than 20 scattered around the house, and they're a source of great joy and warmth), and topical Halloween costumes!

Cute and Mundane swatched one of the Fresh holiday lip sets, which is one of the things I've been trying to convince myself not to buy––with the supposed VIB sale discount, they're still more than $6 apiece, but the Passion one looks so pretty! And I would give the rest away as gifts. If I were to buy it. Which I'm not.

Also, I'm on a new acne regimen––my dermatologist put me on a new topical treatment that she's never had anyone else try, so we'll see how it goes. So far I'm not noticing much difference from that, but I know these things take time! I'm also back on retinoids, which is wreaking havoc on my skin; even with applying only one night out of every 3, my skin is flaky and peeling, which is a new level of suck. It's giving me a chance to try out a bunch of moisturizing samples that I've had lying around, though!
Liz sent me a L'Occitane shea butter facial scrub sample (left) a few months back, and I've found it to be really helpful with my newly-dry skin. I wouldn't usually risk such a heavy moisturizer, but right now my priority is fixing the dryness; avoiding more acne can come later! I've also been using the Eve Lom moisturizing mask sample (middle) I got when I went to Barneys with L in New York; it's a clear gel that is applied, left on for 10-15 minutes, and then you remove the excess with a tissue. I've been trying to stretch it out, though, so there's rarely any excess left! It's definitely had a beneficial effect, as well, much more than the Eve Lom moisturizing serum (right), which seemed to do jack shit. Hopefully my skin will be back to its normal oily-and-acne self soon, because I'm going to run out of moisturizing samples. Not to mention that I know how to deal with excess oil; dry and flaky skin is quite another matter.

So that's what's up with me. My stats midterm is this Thursday, which everyone has said is going to be brutal, so I'm probably going to go into study hibernation mode and you may not see much of me until after that's over, but I'll try to have at least one post up this week. Thank you for being patient and for all your support! You guys are the best. What have you been up to lately?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...